Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruised Ribs - How long?

Bruised Ribs - How long?

I tripped over a tussock last night and went crashing down landing on my chest. Pretty painful but think it's more of a case of brusied ribs rather than broken. Just wondering what people's experiences were in terms of comeback time before being able to run again. Can running too soon set the healing process back?

I'm doing the 3 Peaks and was originally planning two more long runs. This weekend is obviously out now but was hoping to be ok for the weekend after.

I don't suppose there is much you can do to speed things up other than rest.

Re: Bruised Ribs - How long?

It will hurt even more in 7 days - take my word for it

Super Moderator

I fell and landed on a chunk of gritstone a few years ago. Couldn't get shirt on or off without help for a couple of days but remember being able to run again within 10days or so

Good luck
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I fell and landed on a chunk of gritstone a few years ago. Couldn't get shirt on or off without help for a couple of days but remember being able to run again within 10days or so

Good luck
    Cheers DT. If it takes 10 days for me, that doesn't sound too bad.

I fell flat on my back in November. Was running very carefully within about six weeks. Most painful thing was turning over in bed - like I couldnt. Still feel it today.

Dont know whether running too soon will impede recovery. I just started as soon as I could do it without too much pain (which of course will depend on your acceptable pain threshold)

Good luck
    Andy

I took a bad landing at Bonehill Rocks while bouldering a couple of years ago, in retrospect pretty sure I broke a rib, but at the time I caught my breath and carried on to do my hardest boulder problems of the day (what an eejit )

Took several weeks after that for it to stop hurting and clicking every time I breathed in deeply. Several weeks away from climbing or running did my nut in

There's not much you can do for a broken rib other than resting it, but it'd be wise to get it x-rayed so you know what you're dealing with.
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Ribs are difficult to heal as they "float" and are constantly moving. Unless, that is, you can stop breathing for a few days I have a similar problem at the moment, but caused in a different way. An over zealous sparing partner kicked me in the back Oww

Quote Originally Posted by FarFromTheFells View Post
    I took a bad landing at Bonehill Rocks while bouldering a couple of years ago, in retrospect pretty sure I broke a rib, but at the time I caught my breath and carried on to do my hardest boulder problems of the day (what an eejit )

Took several weeks after that for it to stop hurting and clicking every time I breathed in deeply. Several weeks away from climbing or running did my nut in

There's not much you can do for a broken rib other than resting it, but it'd be wise to get it x-rayed so you know what you're dealing with.
    I'd just like to second the last line there, get it x-rayed. Rib injuries are odd in that if you have a crack or a break the pain just doesn't subside for what seems like an eternity, and the 'speediest' way of resolving it is rest. Like Nightingale says, they move all the time, making recovery often a slower process than you might expect.

I cracked two ribs in Dec 2007. Couldn't run again until end of March 2008. A bitter experience. Hopefully you'll have got away with bruising but an x-ray is the only way to know for sure.

All the best with your recovery either way.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Thanks for all the advice.

Re getting it X-rayed, I wondered whether there was any point. Even if I had cracked my ribs rather than just bruise them can they do anything anyway?

I suppose if it is the former it will just take longer to heal and it will be 3 Peaks and Fellsman out of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Thanks for all the advice.

Re getting it X-rayed, I wondered whether there was any point. Even if I had cracked my ribs rather than just bruise them can they do anything anyway?

I suppose if it is the former it will just take longer to heal and it will be 3 Peaks and Fellsman out of the window.
    No they can't do anything. But it will assist you in planning your recovery and ensure you don't inadvertently hamper any healing in a worst case scenario.

Sorry, don't mean to sound all doom and gloom. I'm sure its just bruising!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.