Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No flagging!

No flagging!

I've heard it twice now from the ROs of the last two races i've done that the FRA is discouraging flagging on courses. I actually quite like the idea of this, but i'm not sure that course maps are all that readily available in some cases. Jamie said yesterday that it's leaning more towards marshals at key points and intermittent flagging, if at all, to keep people off 'out of bounds' areas.

If i had bothered to attend the AGM coffee drop-in at Langdale i might have heard about it, i was a bit wet and pissed off so i gave it a miss. I think the forum can provide a valuable map resource here too.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I've heard it twice now from the ROs of the last two races i've done that the FRA is discouraging flagging on courses. I actually quite like the idea of this, but i'm not sure that course maps are all that readily available in some cases. Jamie said yesterday that it's leaning more towards marshals at key points and intermittent flagging, if at all, to keep people off 'out of bounds' areas.
    Well if the great and the good on the Executive Committee are considering what is the essence of fell, as distinct from trail or cross-country running or even glorified park runs, then that is surely a good thing?

And if it then takes action to restore the sport to what the founding fathers had it mind 50 years ago when the FRA was formed - then might that not be even better?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

If i had bothered to attend the AGM coffee drop-in at Langdale i might have heard about it, i was a bit wet and pissed off so i gave it a miss. I think the forum can provide a valuable map resource here too.
    https://fellrunner.org.uk/documents/...ug%202020).pdf

This is the FRA Race Registration and Licensing Policy and, as Graham has rightly said, the intention is to maintain a clear distinction between fell races and largely commercial, fully-flagged, expensive trail races which can lead to problems gaining access permissions. Landowners often do not appreciate the difference and there was a lively discussion following the AGM.
    Charmian Heaton

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well if the great and the good on the Executive Committee are considering what is the essence of fell, as distinct from trail or cross-country running or even glorified park runs, then that is surely a good thing?

And if it then takes action to restore the sport to what the founding fathers had it mind 50 years ago when the FRA was formed - then might that not be even better?
    I'd say it's a step in the right direction, and i like the mawkishly nostalgic tone of your post, you remind me of a certain castle-dwelling, wand-waving wizard headmaster.

There'll be an uproar when the news hits Facebook.

I'd say it's a step in the right direction, and i like the mawkishly nostalgic tone of your post, you remind me of a certain castle-dwelling, wand-waving wizard headmaster.

There'll be an uproar when the news hits Facebook.
    My views on (most of) the people who opine on fell running matters on facebook, from the comfort of their armchairs, are inappropriate for this family-viewable Forum.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    I have never understood why any body would think that fellrunners need a flagged course and actually see a flagged course as an insult to my capabilities, so well done FRA thats why I pay my subs in the hopes that the true traditions of our sport will be upheld.

I couldn`t give a monkeys what tne feeling is on facebook
    Last edited by JohnK; 31-10-2021 at 07:54 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    My views on (most of) the people who opine on fell running matters on facebook, from the comfort of their armchairs, are inappropriate for this family-viewable Forum.
    The ex Boss speaks wise words. Age and experience brings wisdom!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I have never understood why any body would think that fellrunners need a flagged course and actually see a flagged course as an insult to my capabilities, so well done FRA thats why I pay my subs in the hopes that the true traditions of our sport will be upheld.

I couldn`t give a monkeys what tne feeling is on facebook
    Seconded.

But where there are flagged sections ROs please please make it clear if they are compulsory or advisory. Ideally they would only exist where essential to maintain a route through an environmentally sensitive part of a race, in which case I don't have an issue with them.

I think i can see a need for race maps here, as it's not always possible to obtain them beforehand, and if you can get one at registration you may not have adequate time to prepare. I think that as a searchable resource the forum could be useful here, if members were prepared to upload reasonable resolution copies onto race threads. I cartainly don't mind doing this myself, as i have MMap, i can start with Dunnerdale as i know the downloadable map for that is awful.

Race maps are usually very good for running the actual race but less good if you need to navigate a different route back off the hill or provide a grid reference. I prefer to use OS maps bought from charity shops and cut to an appropriate size - including the surrounding area. I mark them up with race notes and grid figures if they aren't already on the area. Then I put them in a decent quality plastic bag and they fold up small and last for years.