Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference Guide

Re: Reference Guide

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Good, albeit obvious attempt (would you accept 7 out of 10?), but lacks certain characteristics as exemplified by this recent thread.
    The art is to appear and firmly believe you are still on thread, except for failing to spot one key word in the initial post. In this case "prize". Even when posters were reminded, they earnestly persisted with their parallel irrelevant debate, and detracted from a potentially interesting post.
    Agreed. But what is better, the OMM smock or the Haglofs Oz? We still don't know...
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    Agreed. But what is better, the OMM smock or the Haglofs Oz? We still don't know...
    And I still haven't seen anybody running in this crisp-bag that keeps coming up as an option.
    I thought we were getting somewhere with the 'Tonights Crisps' thread but that's rubbish because it doesn't tell me which bags have taped seams and which ones would get past a kit check.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Super Moderator

As my previous post(s) I broadly support the idea of your reference guide G. Not all questions are lazy though. Its okay for people who race regularly to sneer at beginners asking seemingly naive questions but if you've never been to a race it could appear quite daunting

In terms of numbers of posts there are no rules I am aware of limiting members' imput. What's worse than visiting a forum to find it deadly quiet with a handful of posts per day (MDS is a good example). Don't overlook the fact too that lots of regular posters actually know eachother in real life. I'm off to meet some now to run, camp and drink beer with
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    The point has been made above about not being bothered what the general public think.
    My comment about not being bothered what people think was not made in relation to the general public, but to the people who have sufficient interest in fell running that they read what's posted on this forum.

I think that it's hugely important that the FRA do what they do to ensure that we aren't seen as irresponsible or incompetent by the general public. The reason I maintained my subscription despite having many years out of the sport is that I recognise the FRA as a force for good in ensuring that my kids and the generations that come after them can still pull on a pair of shoes and go for a trot in the countryside with the same freedoms that I enjoy. The 'surprisingly large team' that administer the FRA do an incredibly good job of maintaining the amateur 'feel' of the sport while operating at a level of professionalism that many other sports would envy - take a look at Snowsport England for instance!

The point I'm making is that I view this forum as an extension of the pub after a club night. There's banter about racing, recruiting support and making plans for big runs, gear discussions, club business, and chat about stuff that's got nothing at all to do with running. Whose having these conversations? There's the has-beens and never was's, the old hands and the newbies, the hot-shot racing lads and lasses, the people with high pressure jobs that are looking for a safety valve and the folk looking for work for whom this is a cheap way of getting out of the house and rebuilding a bit of personal pride. The only thing we have in common is fell running and the genuine comradeship that comes from being part of a minority sport.

So what do I do if I'm at one end of the bar and there's a conversation that's boring? I go and find a conversation at the other end of the bar.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

My sentiments exactly

Personally I like the forum just as it is

Quote Originally Posted by tinyman View Post
    So what do I do if I'm at one end of the bar and there's a conversation that's boring? I go and find a conversation at the other end of the bar.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    1. Turn up
    2. Pay 3 quid
    3. Run (and walk a bit)
    4. Drink beer
    5. Have fun

6. spend the following week unable to walk with doms but have the biggest smile on your face

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    6. spend the following week unable to walk with doms but have the biggest smile on your face
    7. Show off all your new scars to all your friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    7. Show off all your new scars to all your friends and family.
    So far I have a scar from the Borrowdale, 3 Shires and Langdale on my right leg. Over the next few years I will be looking to get the collection and pick up the Lakeland Classic Series box set of scars
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

I think Tinyman has hit the nail on the head - this is like a discussion in the pub and if someone asked some of the things posted on here in the pub they wouldn't get a second thought - they would just be told where they could park or what map to take and nobody would think anything of it. So its usually just a bit of crack - For example I hope I have enough common sense to know whats waterproof and whats isn't - but I also know that there is a lot of kit about that sits uncomfortably in that middle ground that might or might not be Ok any in one or more of numerous different organisers views, so I dont see any harm in us having a chat about it. If the recent discussion about EDZ jackets has stopped someone turning up at Jura or The Ben, or the Mountain Trial in one and having a barney with an organiser then its saved some hassle, and maybe saved their race. So lets chat about these things, its like TV, if you dont like it you know where the off button is!

As a complete newbie to the sport I've been a bit of a post whore with all kind of noob questions. However everyone has been more than helpfull with great info/advice...and some good banter too!

A great forum I think!