Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Reference Guide

Re: Reference Guide

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    I think you will find that contribution is adequately described by TheGrump's reference to repetitive postings.
    Keerist - that's two pedants

Please lighten up - esp. TheGrump

Bloody hell, life is far too short

Anyway, Bunny 2 on Tue - you there?
    Eight Eccentrics of Yangzhou

Quote Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
    Keerist - that's two pedants

Please lighten up - esp. TheGrump

Bloody hell, life is far too short

Anyway, Bunny 2 on Tue - you there?

Bunny 2? No.

After Bunny 1 I am replete.

apparently another of TheGrump's pet hates is anyone questioning the scheduling of races - something which is apparently equivalent to insulting the ROs, I discovered not long ago. It was very enlightening.

His/her wisdom on this count can obviously be relied upon, so can I suggest that any further questions regarding the scheduling of races be addressed to TheGrump's private message inbox?
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 12-04-2010 at 08:06 AM.

On a more serious note, and on the subject of ROs, are we sure we want to encourage people to pepper ROs direct with queries about races?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Race queries - see 1 above, and/or ask the organiser.
    I avoid emailing ROs, assuming they'll probably be busy enough, and because it's less of an intrusion to ask a Q like 'will there be anywhere to stash a bag?' on here.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 12-04-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    There are three aspects to this:

1. individual views on what the Forum could/might/should/etc, be: eccentric's,TheGrump's, mine; all are equally valid.

2. the stance of the FRA Committee which "created" the Forum. It's current view is "arm's length", eg you do not need to be a member of the FRA to contribute. I do not see that changing at present.

3. the reality of what the Forum actually is: sometimes puerile, erudite, amusing, helpful, patronising, good craic, insults, et al, ie the reality of the Forum is the creation of its active contributors (which is a very small % of the FRA membership).

So the Forum is what it is and what those who contribute have made it. And to return to point 1., it allows TheGrump the freedom to have a moan: and so it should.
    ...and isn't it a shame the grump chose to do it in such a condescending and obnoxious manner.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by tinyman View Post
    The point I'm making is that I view this forum as an extension of the pub after a club night. There's banter about racing, recruiting support and making plans for big runs, gear discussions, club business, and chat about stuff that's got nothing at all to do with running. Whose having these conversations? There's the has-beens and never was's, the old hands and the newbies, the hot-shot racing lads and lasses, the people with high pressure jobs that are looking for a safety valve and the folk looking for work for whom this is a cheap way of getting out of the house and rebuilding a bit of personal pride. The only thing we have in common is fell running and the genuine comradeship that comes from being part of a minority sport.

So what do I do if I'm at one end of the bar and there's a conversation that's boring? I go and find a conversation at the other end of the bar.
    Best post I've read in a long time. Makes my aching thighs all the more worthwhile!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Best post I've read in a long time. Makes my aching thighs all the more worthwhile!
    Makes my ruined calves worthwhile too!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    ...and isn't it a shame the grump chose to do it in such a condescending and obnoxious manner.
    Dear me, if you think that was condescending and obnoxious, you've led a very sheltered 'net life

Should have a look at uk.rec.motorcycles if you want to see what condescending and obnoxious is. It's *very* robust but I've made a lot of very good friends (in real life) on there over the past 11 years.
    Last edited by Beelzebub; 27-04-2010 at 09:19 PM.

would a dedicated BG section not be a sensible and useful alteration to the forum?

Given that at least half the threads in 'Long Distance Challenges' are BG-related and that people are always coming on here hunting for BG advice, would it not serve a purpose to have it all in one place?

it would also perhaps leave more room for the other threads in long distance
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 26-05-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Perhaps a link to the PDF guides for race organisers could be added to the reference guide. I had a read of them the other day because i had come to the end of my tether with trying to figure out exactly how the labels results system works, a half hour well spent.