Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Garmin 305

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    I'm still getting to grips with my 305 - not using it to anywhere near it's potential at the moment HELP!! what's the best mapping software to download?
    Before parting with any cash give SportTracks software a try(http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Demo/ScreenShots1.html)

Its dead good and free.

For ascents I calculate these manually using Garmin Training Centre (free) by moving the cursor between the dips and peaks to get ascent

The landsat pics from SportTrack are shown here, as is the manual way of adding up climbs using Garmin TC. Also shown is the fact I can't add up.

What you don't get with the free software is your route merged onto a proper OS map.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Thumbs up

In my view www.motionbased.com offers a much more user friendly online tool for looking at your Garmin305 training data than the Training Centre software. I use this to download all my 305 data, it has lots of additional features including Altitude correction, weather info and links to display your sessions on google earth etc. The basic version of motionbased is free, if you want to use it to maintain a full history e.g a virtual training log then I think the subscription works out about £6-7 a month. I also download my 305 data into Tracklogs which gives a view of 305 recorded routes on the traditional OS map format, so good for race reccies and route planning. The online OS 1:25000 Maps are somewhere in the region of £25 a sheet I think.

The Garmin 305 is good as a personal training and route planning aid, but it does not replace map and compass.

Quote Originally Posted by bogfoot View Post
    The Garmin 305 does not replace map and compass.
    though it can add to insight into where you have been

Well thats just smashing, thanks for the response everyone. I'm now pretty sure i'll get one. Not until the end of Jan though, so i hope the forum remains intact until then or i will need to introduce the thread for a 3rd time!
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Great thread
    I only wish I hadnt driven off last week with my 305 on the roof of the car!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    I use Anquet, Emmilou.

I use sporttracks which has variable settings. This always show less climb than from Garmin training centre and I believe is reasonably accurate.

My avatar is the elevation profile for Kirk Fell from a race and it is pretty much spot on.
    [quote=Brummy John;1744]Before parting with any cash give SportTracks software a try(http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Demo/ScreenShots1.html)

Quote Originally Posted by bogfoot View Post
    In my view www.motionbased.com .

The Garmin 305 is good as a personal training and route planning aid, but it does not replace map and compass.
    True - hence the FRA navigation course in March - taking the 305 with me though!

Thanks for all the info guys I'll have a 'surf' later

Quote Originally Posted by bestathlete View Post
    Well thats just smashing, thanks for the response everyone. I'm now pretty sure i'll get one. Not until the end of Jan though, so i hope the forum remains intact until then or i will need to introduce the thread for a 3rd time!
    I got mine in Sweatshop it was reduced by £90 I think - not sure they will still have the offer end of Jan?

Re: Garmin 305

I've now got sportstrax.........and i can make it PINK how cool is that?!! Also downloaded motionbased too so will have a proper look at both!
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Zinal View Post
    though it can add to insight into where you have been
    I left mine for about 30 mins on the roof of my parked car next to Sefton Park in Liverpool. It was actually there when I ran back in total panic!

Yeah thanks Emmilou. I'm gonna collect up all the Sweashop vouchers Ive got lying about and send for one post haste.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Suprised the car was still there though!
    Just kidding my neck of the woods and still smarting from last night! thats a different thread however!