Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manchester Tri Club

Manchester Tri Club

Due to the fact that i can't currently run, I was looking at potentail activities to do instead- particually swimming.
    Does anyone train with the triathlon club, if so, which sessions do you do and what is the standard?
    Oh when the blues...go marching in...

Re: Manchester Tri Club

I belong to Wrecsam Tri, not Manchester, but I imagine most tri club training sessions are similar. Normally the pool is split into lanes and you join the lane that best fits your ability (the slow lane for me). The slow lane in our case is about 9-10 mins for 400m pace. Sessions vary but will mostly be front crawl based. I did two sprint tri's last year and really struggled with the swim, spent most of my time hanging on the end of the pool. Now after joining a club and half a dozen swim sessions 400m doesn't seem that hard...I'm now worried about my bike! I would think any "Masters" swim session at your local pool would be similar to this, but likely to vary the stokes used too. Just jump in and go for it...

Can't remember if its manchester tri or another one but someone one does outdoor sessions at salford quays on a thurs night!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddy the Owl View Post
    Due to the fact that i can't currently run, I was looking at potentail activities to do instead- particually swimming.
    Does anyone train with the triathlon club, if so, which sessions do you do and what is the standard?
    All the info for MTC training sessions is on www.man-tri-club.org.uk

Since I am injured I do the Monday and Thursday night swim sessions. Monday is 1hr30 from 8pm. Thursday is 1hr from 8:30pm. Get there 15 mins before to stretch at poolside. I also sometimes do the Sunday night swim session. These are all at the Aquatics centre. If you join the club bronze membership £15 the sessions are £3 per time. Otherwise you have to pay to get in the pool also so almost £5 per session. It is worth joining if you intend to do atleast 7-8 sessions total.

I started out in lane 1 of 4 lanes about 10 weeks ago. I did a 400m trial in just over 7 minutes just before I joined and I was close to the front of lane 1. Moved up to lane 2 where I am now at the front of it doing about 6:20 for a 400m trial. Might move up again to 3 soon. The top lane are doing sub 5 mins for 400m so don't go near that one unless you were a fish in a past life! Slowest in the pool are probably a little over 8 minutes for 400m. In each session we probably cover 2km in an hour or just over. Monday's might be closer to 3k now. Most of it is front crawl but some breast, back, and drills which you soon learn. If they say butterfly most just do front crawl as they can't do butterfly in lanes 1 and 2 particularly. Come along. It has kept me fit.

I don't do the bike sessions but bike to work on my own instead and ride on my days off.

Andy
    Last edited by Oxo Cube; 24-04-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calf View Post
    Can't remember if its manchester tri or another one but someone one does outdoor sessions at salford quays on a thurs night!
    Yes starts fairly soon only in summer months.

thanks for that andy, i'll give you a ring when i plan to come down. i swim a mile a night, so hopefully i won't look out of place.

are you thinking about swimming in the quays?
    Oh when the blues...go marching in...

I can't make this thursday or next Monday but after that i'll be back to doing both sessions each week. I am intending on doing the open water sessions in the quays also. Let me knopw when you fancy coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxo Cube View Post
    I don't do the bike sessions but bike to work on my own instead
    You only live a mile away from work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    You only live a mile away from work!!!
    Hey its almost 2.5!! 5 mile there and back is 25 per week. 100 per month. 1200 per year. Better than nowt I sometimes go the long way home 9 miles, but never in the morning because i'm a lazy sod! Tonight i'm going out for 2 hours... if I can be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxo Cube View Post
    Hey its almost 2.5!!
    Cycling to work for me short route is 7miles.
    But too many cars and lights. So my usual route is 13 miles each way.

Hope to have some more running anytime soon. Yesterday 5 min jog, 3months after Achille op. Stiff, but not too painful. The doc says sure I'll be pain but at this stage rest is counterproductive. Good doc