Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS advice

GPS advice

Hi all.
    We're trying to buy a handheld gps for my father-in-law and need help. He wants a very basic one which gives position as an OS grid reference and height. He's not interested in reviewing routes, connecting to PC etc.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Bob

Re: GPS advice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
    Hi all.
    We're trying to buy a handheld gps for my father-in-law and need help. He wants a very basic one which gives position as an OS grid reference and height. He's not interested in reviewing routes, connecting to PC etc.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Bob
    Bob, I got the GARMIN eTrex, which seems to be the most popular basic, budget handheld, at £60-75.

It's fine, although I was disappointed it did not record cumulative ascent. It will however give you spot heights and OS grid refs. Decent battery life.

To be honest though, you can get phones now that will give you an OS grid ref in an emergency ...

There are lots of Garmin Etrex's, with different features. Even if you want a very simple one, it's important to get an HCx model, as they have improved accuracy, which is the whole point. I have a Legend HCx, which is simple but has brilliant battery life - I have had it work over 17 hours without running down on one set of good quality rechargeable batteries. It doesn't have an alitmeter, but in my opinion they are not very accurate anyway and certainly they drain battery life.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

the iphone with the gridpoint gb app. needs no phone reception and is quicker than than the garmins i have had and the new memorymap gps i recently wasted my money on. it's also better to see in sunlight than any of the others i have seen.as i always used to carry a mobile anyway so why carry another device as well which wasn't going to be as good.
    slow upfast down

Quote Originally Posted by fellboy View Post
    the iphone with the gridpoint gb app. needs no phone reception and is quicker than than the garmins i have had and the new memorymap gps i recently wasted my money on. it's also better to see in sunlight than any of the others i have seen.as i always used to carry a mobile anyway so why carry another device as well which wasn't going to be as good.
    fellboy - how does it cope in very cold and / or wet conditions though? I now it's possible to keep it dry but in my experience sometimes when phones are in a very damp and cold atmos the battery goes very quickly ...

I'm looking at getting a new phone (though not an iPhone) with GPS when I upgrade but am worried it might not be robust enough foir mountain use ...

It hasn't let me down yet. But you have to get the gridpoint gb app. A lot of the other apps need a phone conection and as you probably know you can't always get a conection. Gridpoint gb hasn't let me down once in all conditions and gives you instant gridpoint, faster than any other handheld I've seen
    slow upfast down

It hasn't let me down yet. But you have to get the gridpoint gb app. A lot of the other apps need a phone conection and as you probably know you can't always get a conection. Gridpoint gb hasn't let me down once in all conditions and gives you instant gridpoint, faster than any other handheld I've seen
    cheers fb, yes I know there is a similar app for Nokias

dunno about other phones though

i might be wrong, but I dont think an iPhone is proper GPS. Doesnt it triangulate between phone masts or something like that. Not that thats a problem, but you wont get anything like the accuracy of a true GPS transponder.

Quote Originally Posted by CribGoch View Post
    i might be wrong, but I dont think an iPhone is proper GPS. Doesnt it triangulate between phone masts or something like that. Not that thats a problem, but you wont get anything like the accuracy of a true GPS transponder.
    no I think many phones have proper GPS now, which works independently of the phone signal

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    no I think many phones have proper GPS now, which works independently of the phone signal
    Yes, some phones do, but the iPhone dosent.