Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ras y Moelwyn

Re: Ras y Moelwyn

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    There's 9 of us arriving from sunny Lancashire. 8 are running, 1 walking the dog.
    Hoping for a good race in sunny conditions. Lets hope the snow and hail stays off.
    :thumbup:
    Should be a good weekend mapper. Done this race 3 years consecutively and it has kicked my butt each time. Finished 91st, 92nd, 93rd respectively. See you tomorrow when i cross the line 94th :wink:
    Do you know the Muffin Man?

I'll be there and am looking forward to it, despite the lack of training. Didn't have a clue on the route last year and just followed in the mist. Did a recce last Friday from Croesor and am still not sure of the desent off Moel-Yr-Hydd. The guy I followed down last year took a fairly direct route and we ended up at the eastern end of the lake. Took what looked an easier line on Friday and came out about half-way along. Longer but easier, probably not much in it.
    Great area - my favourite race last year :-)

What a beast!
    Packs a lot into the eight miles. All the way up to Moelwyn Mawr is a massive lactic acid tolerance test. The descents are "technical" to say the least, giving little opportunity for recovery. A great day out, though, and superbly marshalled.
    The drive over from St Helens was great - it's a lovely area. I'll be going back to do a bit more exploration by bike and on foot.

Oh, and I loved the "Victorian Strongman" lookalike - I think he's a regular. does anyone have a picture?
    Last edited by Mark L; 21-04-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Great race once again. Love Graig ysgafn (section between Moelwyn Mawr and Moelwyn Bach) sorts out the fell runner from the rest :-) I got a PB for the course to of 1:21:37 and a sneaky one second win ;-) must have a long nose (or somrthing elese) hahaha!!

Some photos can be seen here of the ascent on www.clicclic.co.uk photos of the return will be up later.

Also pictures can be seen here on www.sportpicturescymru.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by gafrymynydd View Post
    Great race once again. Love Graig ysgafn (section between Moelwyn Mawr and Moelwyn Bach) sorts out the fell runner from the rest :-) I got a PB for the course to of 1:21:37 and a sneaky one second win ;-) must have a long nose (or somrthing elese) hahaha!!

Some photos can be seen here of the ascent on www.clicclic.co.uk photos of the return will be up later.

Well done!

Fantastic race, bit of everything in it. Loved the Graig Ysgafn section as well. Felt like a proper mountain race, a very well thought out course.

I did it in 1:43:32 which I was pretty pleased with, especially seeing as my shoes have got pretty much zero grip on them which really slowed me down on the descents...

"Graig ysgafn (section between Moelwyn Mawr and Moelwyn Bach) sorts out the fell runner from the rest" - I'll be one of the rest then! Really glad I did the race but some of those descents, wow!
    On the last descent I went down twice it was a mudslide! Brilliant fun though.
    On a serious note certainly made me realise how much more experience I need to get particlularly descending.

Great race, really enjoyed it though I found it really tough after 3 months minimal training. Thanks to the organisers and marshalls. Spent a fair bit of time on my arse on the last descent then took a tumble on the last bit. Beer seems to be numbing the pain OK :-p

Im not too sure who it was that was sliding down the hill on the last decent but i nearly died from laughing so much while running and slipping myself!.that was truly a funny sight! if that guy that slid about half a mile down hill is reading this you made my day!
    on another note that was my second fell race after nitro north moel famau which i came 2nd in,but the moelwyns was in a different class,got a respectable time on 1hr 52(atleast my dad said i did) hope the real results go online soon.as im only 20 i`d like to think i was one of the first under 21`s to finish!

Quote Originally Posted by JWM View Post
    Im not too sure who it was that was sliding down the hill on the last decent but i nearly died from laughing so much while running and slipping myself!.that was truly a funny sight! if that guy that slid about half a mile down hill is reading this you made my day!
    on another note that was my second fell race after nitro north moel famau which i came 2nd in,but the moelwyns was in a different class,got a respectable time on 1hr 52(atleast my dad said i did) hope the real results go online soon.as im only 20 i`d like to think i was one of the first under 21`s to finish!
    That was probably me. Took me a while to remove the mud when I got home!

Quote Originally Posted by gafrymynydd View Post

I'm sorry I looked at the descent photos, possibly the worst fellrunning photo of me ever. I appear to have aged 20 years during the race.......