Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Salt - Performance Enhancer

Re: Salt - Performance Enhance

hmm.
    All the time we are told to lower our salt intake by the government to their recommended levels. Thing is, are these levels right for all of us, for 'mr average' or just for some desk bound, tv junkie couch potato? They never say that the recommended salt intake goes up with exercise, but is that because they think we're too stupid to work out the right level for ourselves?
    scaniagirl

You can't rehydrate without salt. You need a salt gradient to get the water into your body. If you lose your salt balance you know about it.

Talking Re: Salt - Performance Enhance

Anyone heard about the strange "theory" of carrying a cork in your hand to prevent cramp. Someone told me the Borrowdale lads do this - and it wasn't on April 1 ????

Sounds a strange remedy - any thoughts?

Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Anyone heard about the strange "theory" of carrying a cork in your hand to prevent cramp. Someone told me the Borrowdale lads do this - and it wasn't on April 1 ????

Batman
    from "Training" by Harry Andrews. Published in 1904
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Andrews
    Some men carry circular pieces of cork just about as long as the hand is broad and about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. The gripping of them during a run calls for an exertion of will-power which is most beneficial in any feat of strength or endurance. Gamage supplies these corks are 6d or 9d a pair.
    Harry Andrews was the trainer for Alf Shrubb.
    Last edited by XRunner; 04-06-2007 at 06:31 PM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Thumbs up Salt - Performance Enhancer

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

Batman
    Are you sure it was a cork in your hand ??????????????????

Regards

Max.
    "Do as little as needed not as much as possible" - Henk Kraayenhof.

Never be afraid to take a profit.

Clarky that was a very interesting post.

I'm not one to suffer with cramps whilst running, but more likely to get them afterwards, when I'm relaxing at home. Even then I only tend to get cramp a few times a year. I kind of thought that my usual diet would replenish my salt intake - but clearly this may not be quick enough, or at a too lower level. Again I ask whether our low salt diet is at the correct levels for runners. Also following your post I wonder whether rushing down pub before replenishing any electrolytes is the best idea.

I had a Nuun tablet (effectively a salt tablet with other minerals) the day before my BG, and this worked fine. I also increased my daily salt intake for the couple of weeks prior. I've had no cramps since. My BG was a couple of weeks ago.

I've cut back my salt intake for the moment (only because I've nothing serious on at the moment), but will be ramping it up just before the Ultra Tour du Mont Blanc in August. I'll certainly be taking a Nuun tablet the day before. (I've no connection with Nuun BTW, other than they were recommended to me)

And, if it's all the same I don't think I'll bother with the cork idea Batman.

Cheers,

The Joker
    fell running.....are you trying to be funny?

I bought some Nuun tablets today after I spotted them in Pete Blands, I've had them recommended to me by some ultra runners. I had one today - thought my cracking headache may have been dehyration (drinking too much last night & running today). They taste lovely

I had a bad time with cramp a few years ago and it wasn't just a case of adding more salt - it's more a combination of different minerals including magnesium, and I think potassium. I also heard quinine helped lots but is hard to get as tablets - it is in tonic water though. My stomach did not appreciate tonic water just before a race

If it's hotI tend to have an isotonic drink before I run and I usually take a multivitamin with minerals - especially if I'm going to be doing a long or hot run. I only add salt to food if I am doing a really long run the next day.