Thread: Temporal Arteritis

Question Temporal Arteritis

Anyone have experience of this illness? Diagnosed with it yesterday and it's given me a scare. For those not in the know, it's an inflammation of the arteries in the temples, which can lead to blindness if not treated quiclky. I was diagnosed by a nurse practioner who suggested I had a blood test after I complained about headaches. Not seen doctor yet, but already on treatment.
    I decided Coledale Horseshoe was probably not a good idea, and my fear is that running might be out of the question altogether from now on.

Re: Temporal Arteritis

Lots of sympathy - what a shock to get this diagnosis! I have absolutely no experience of this problem, but I googled it and informed myself a bit. Sounds as if treating you right away is absolutely the right thing. From what I read, this will be with high doses of steroid initially, tapering off asap. Some people go into remission within 2-3 years and no longer need treatment. Others are not so lucky. So if you do go into remission, presumably you can go back to a normal life. I couldn't find any advice on lifestyle with temporal arteritis, but with allied health problems, aerobic exercise seems to be mandatory and very helpful. You will of course ask the health professionals looking after you for advice, but I suspect you will not be told to give up your running.

I think whenever one has a worrying diagnosis, at first one tends to freeze and hardly want to get out of bed for fear of making things worse, but as time goes on one becomes much more confident and even blase. That has certainly been my experience.

Very best wishes for your treatment, and an early return to your healthy exercise habits!
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Thanks Alexandra. I had a malignant melonoma removed from my chest 4 years ago and it really gave me a shock, but although I am careful about sun exposure I have gradually became less worried about it. You have to remain positive, and for me this is easy if I can keep running.

It now appears I might not have TA, and that the symptoms, including a high ESR level in the first blood test were due to a respiratory infection I had at the same time. Still a very small chance of TA so have to come off medication slowly (blindness in one eye is a risk with TA), but now feeling more postive and have started running properly again.

That's good news, see you out on the hills soon.