Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mountain bike pedals/shoes

mountain bike pedals/shoes

Ok i need help from you M B/off road bikers. I want to upgrade my pedals on my bike, and get the appropariate shoes, i was looking at clipless as i want to try to increase uphill power etc. however, after looking at mountain bike pedals, there are the SPD type and the normal flat type. as far as i understand it, the flat type are more for downhill sort of bikers. with regards to the SPD type, if you are off roading, is it not difficult getting your feet off them quick if you need to put your foot down? I guess what i am trying to get at is which is best for off road?
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

Re: mountain bike pedals/shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    Ok i need help from you M B/off road bikers. I want to upgrade my pedals on my bike, and get the appropariate shoes, i was looking at clipless as i want to try to increase uphill power etc. however, after looking at mountain bike pedals, there are the SPD type and the normal flat type. as far as i understand it, the flat type are more for downhill sort of bikers. with regards to the SPD type, if you are off roading, is it not difficult getting your feet off them quick if you need to put your foot down? I guess what i am trying to get at is which is best for off road?

The eggbeaters are good for the mtb or at least I'd say get the double sided clipping ones, bit off a faff trying to clip in whilst hooning down a rocky path!!

I use old school Mt Christophe toe clips, i'm probably the only one left doing so but it's what i'm used to. My point being that once you're used to getting out of a clip of some sort it's not a problem, i don't wear them tight and i can be out of one in a flash.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I'm a massive fan of Time Atac pedals. Much better mud (and snow) clearance than SPD's and, if you go for the basic aluminium one, not too pricey. You can also get them in a clip/platform combo for the "best of both worlds", although I don't really see the point.

I've got these on my SS mountain bike, XC mountain bike, crosser and fixed winter trainer road bike.... I guess I quite like them.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ti...ls/5360022277/

Shoe wise, I don't see the point of forking out loads for mega expensive ones as they tend to get pretty trashed from mud and walking over rough and rocky surfaces... these DHB ones (Wiggles own brand) are amazing value and do a great job.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dh...es/5360033176/

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    I'm a massive fan of Time Atac pedals. Much better mud (and snow) clearance than SPD's and, if you go for the basic aluminium one, not too pricey. You can also get them in a clip/platform combo for the "best of both worlds", although I don't really see the point.

I've got these on my SS mountain bike, XC mountain bike, crosser and fixed winter trainer road bike.... I guess I quite like them.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ti...ls/5360022277/

Shoe wise, I don't see the point of forking out loads for mega expensive ones as they tend to get pretty trashed from mud and walking over rough and rocky surfaces... these DHB ones (Wiggles own brand) are amazing value and do a great job.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dh...es/5360033176/
    thanks folks, loads of good info, you can tell i'm new to off roading, Nikalas, those shoes, do they come with cleats or do they have to be brought serperate, also, the atac pedals are obviously compatable with the shoes you've mentioned are they not?
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

Lola

DD,

I went to Mountain Biking from the road so assumed that clipped was best because that is what you use on the road. Efficiency is all. BUT I now use almost exclusively flat pedals because I tend to bike off road - not usually at trail centres or on groomed paths and I simply would'nt survive or have nearly as much fun if I went clipped.

For me the difference between road biking and real mountain biking (not racing, where they are very similar - minimum weight and max efficiency) is the fun factor. Yesterday was a good example - marvellous weather and plenty of views and wildlife about, great ride; if I'd been on the road it would have been heads down, don't get dropped.

So, if you are looking for another race venue - go clipped. Going on real rough terrain, trials stuff or enjoying yourself, magnesium flats with average length pins so you don't trash your shins! Sanderson, DMR even Spec all do good stuff that lasts well. For shoes, 5.10 rule but cheap Karrimor 'approach' shoes do just as well really, usually under £20.

Hope that puts another perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    DD,

I went to Mountain Biking from the road so assumed that clipped was best because that is what you use on the road. Efficiency is all. BUT I now use almost exclusively flat pedals because I tend to bike off road - not usually at trail centres or on groomed paths and I simply would'nt survive or have nearly as much fun if I went clipped.

For me the difference between road biking and real mountain biking (not racing, where they are very similar - minimum weight and max efficiency) is the fun factor. Yesterday was a good example - marvellous weather and plenty of views and wildlife about, great ride; if I'd been on the road it would have been heads down, don't get dropped.

So, if you are looking for another race venue - go clipped. Going on real rough terrain, trials stuff or enjoying yourself, magnesium flats with average length pins so you don't trash your shins! Sanderson, DMR even Spec all do good stuff that lasts well. For shoes, 5.10 rule but cheap Karrimor 'approach' shoes do just as well really, usually under £20.

Hope that puts another perspective.
    Fraid I'd disagree with this... I'm hardly a racer, ride the rockiest technical trails the Dark Peak has to offer and never have a problem or suffer any loss of enjoyment/appreciation of the surroundings by riding clipped.

I also massively appreciate the advantage they give me on the ups too.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    thanks folks, loads of good info, you can tell i'm new to off roading, Nikalas, those shoes, do they come with cleats or do they have to be brought serperate, also, the atac pedals are obviously compatable with the shoes you've mentioned are they not?
    Cleats come with the pedals and are compatible with the DHB shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    Cleats come with the pedals and are compatible with the DHB shoes.
    I also had cleats but found that it didnt work for me (lots of bruises to proove this!) I was advised to get some dual pedals-cleats on one side and flat on the other, i havent looked back-i unclip as i approach a tricky bit then clip back in when it gets to the easier stuff.

One One have got some nice Time MTB shoes on offer,

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/SHTIMXSC...rbon-mtb-shoes

I've always used SPD pedals - I'd try something else but I'd need 3 sets of pedals now!