Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gangrene?

Gangrene?

so I've got an infected blister on my big toe joint that I've been trying to ignore for a few days but has just got more and more painful - i.e., can hardly get shoe on.

I just took off the compeed that's been on it for four days and it's in a right old mess - a white volcano surrounded by red inflamed and swollen foot, and some black discolouration around it, which I can only think is bloody gangrene!

Do I need to go to A&E now to get some antibiotics or will a doc's appt. do?
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 19-04-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Re: Gangrene?

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    so I've got an infected blister on my big toe joint that I've been trying to ignore for a few days but has just got more and more painful - i.e., can hardly get shoe on.

I just took off the compeed that's been on it for four days and it's in a right old mess - a white volcano surrounded by red inflamed and swollen foot, and some black discolouration around it, which I can only think is bloody gangrene!

Do I need to go to A&E now to get some antibiotics or will a doc's appt tomorrow do?
    I very much doubt its gangrene after only a few days, but it certainly sounds like its infected. A trip to A+E can be a pain in the arse at the best of times. If i were you NHS direct on 0845 4647 and discuss it with one of the nurses and see if they feel you need to attend A+E. Another option would be to contact your GP by the usual number and it should either out you through r give you the number to contact an oncall GP service where you would be able to either have a home visit or attend a surgery depending on where you live.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.
    "That was the night everything changed"

cheers eavesy - thing is the blister is two weeks old. It never really healed properly and became v painful about five days ago, which I'm guessing is when it became infected.

I think probably leaving on a compeed then is the worst thing you can do cos the infection just festers.

The patch of numb blue-black skin just freaked me out a bit!

Sounds like the compeed was a bad idea in this case. I'd still call NHS direct first and see what they recommend. Though if geting it seen tonight will give you the all important peace of mind then it might be worth a trip to A+E. At least if you do go down they can deal with it no matter what it is. Rather than an on call GP etc who may just refer you to A+E.

If you cant get down to a Dr's / A & E or call NHS direct then when I had a similar thing a few years ago I drained all the puss and fluid off, trimmed as much flapping skin off, pierced the infected areas to ensure there were no hidden pools of poison or sub-surface blisters and then soaked the area in surgical spirit.

I then continued soaking in surgical spirit for the next few days and left it open as much as possible - apart from the surgical spirit hurting like hell (but only for a couple of seconds until it became numb) it sorted it out a treat. The sugical spirit will also speed up the drying of 'raw' area where the skin had rubbed off.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

I't take that to a minor injuries unit personally.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Managed to get an emerg. appt with the duty doc at local GP's.

Raised her eyebrows a bit - 'how long have you been walking aorund with it like this!?'

Anyhows, got some antibios, let's just hope it's right for the 3Ps, eh ....

Managed to get an emerg. appt with the duty doc at local GP's.

Raised her eyebrows a bit - 'how long have you been walking aorund with it like this!?'

Anyhows, got some antibios, let's just hope it's right for the 3Ps, eh ....
    Glad to see you got it sorted. Though i'll be surprised if it'll be right for saturday. Might be worth giving it a miss

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    Glad to see you got it sorted. Though i'll be surprised if it'll be right for saturday. Might be worth giving it a miss
    nah, in my experience, the good thing about antibios - even though I don't particularly like taking them - is that they zap these things pretty quickly

nah, in my experience, the good thing about antibios - even though I don't particularly like taking them - is that they zap these things pretty quickly
    Ha ha i thought you might say that somehow. I 'd leave it to healand lay off the running for the rest of the week and then decide saturday morning, though i'm sure you'll be racing.