Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light weight trail shoe

Light weight trail shoe

I'm in the market for a new minimal trail shoe. Since running in talons my current trail shoe (crosslite) feels like a brick so i want to change, and wondering what my options are?
    The obvious choices would be:
    Roclite 285 - Tried before but was too minimal for me at that time and i did too much too soon, though did think it was a great shoe. Now concerned that i may find it too heavy.
    F-Lite 230 - Concerned there won't be enough grip for mixed trail terrain - woodland, fire roads, stoney/rocky paths, mud and off camber/trail.
    F-lite 195 - See above and probably a little too minimal at this stage.
    MT100 - Don't really want to run the risk of ordering from the U.S and them being a poor fit.

Any other options? I will be purchasing from a shop (unless its the 100) just want to make sure i cover all options and don't mind going to a few shops to do so.

If there was a roclite 210 i'd be a very happy man. Any plans insider?

Twister what are your thoughts on this?
    "That was the night everything changed"

Re: Light weight trail shoe

Stick with the X Talons.
    I've used mine on pretty much any terrain you can think of (within reason) and they're great. I actually find the aggressive lugs help maintain forefoot/midfoot running technique when I hit road sections.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Can I expand this to road use as well? When I don't have the time to make it to a hill, all my local runs are a mix of road/lane/field/trail/golf course, but mainly the hard smooth stuff.

I've got a pair of Asics trail shoes that are falling to bits (must be nudging 1k miles) and am looking to replace with a minimal shoe.

Was looking at a pair of grey f-lites recently (250s?), and was wondering if these'd be suitable?

Thoughts?
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Can I expand this to road use as well? When I don't have the time to make it to a hill, all my local runs are a mix of road/lane/field/trail/golf course, but mainly the hard smooth stuff.

I've got a pair of Asics trail shoes that are falling to bits (must be nudging 1k miles) and am looking to replace with a minimal shoe.

Was looking at a pair of grey f-lites recently (250s?), and was wondering if these'd be suitable?

Thoughts?
    Ive got the F-lite 230s and they are mint SS well reccomended.
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

I don't think the X-Talon is the right choice for rocky trails and road. Also the big studs will wear out quickly.

i have just bought a pair of X talons for the yomp at Kirkby Stephen on Sunday so will see how they perform (probably better than me!!)

I've just started using flyroc 310 and they are great on all surfaces I've tried including road, forest trails, fell and grass

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    i have just bought a pair of X talons for the yomp at Kirkby Stephen on Sunday so will see how they perform (probably better than me!!)
    Latest forecast is for rain on Sunday MFdM - I might have to rethink my choice of shoes and move in that direction myself.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Eavesy: Mizuno Wave Harriers. Best shoe I own.

Southernsoftie: I've been impressed with a cheap pair of Saucony (Gemini something something - the cheap pair always advertised at Sportsshoes.com) shoes I bought about ten months ago, primarily for road use. The lugs in them are deep and triangular much like a trail shoe, and I've ended up wearing them on roads, trails, grass and rock. Good when climbing, secure when descending. Very cushioned. I reckon that a decent pair, not the cheapo version I bought, with the same sole unit (but in a better rubber compound) would be a good option.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by tinyman View Post
    Latest forecast is for rain on Sunday MFdM - I might have to rethink my choice of shoes and move in that direction myself.
    see you there? what time are you starting?