Thread: Bruised toes

Bruised toes

Apologies if this is already covered somewhere else on the forum, but can anyone give me any advice about why I seem prone to bruised toes? Its always the fourth toe (on either foot) and seems to be brought on by downhills. Different shoes have inflicted the same thing on me at various times. I don't think I've got abnormally shaped toes. Am I buying my shoes too big? Or too small??? Or is it just part of running and I should just get on with it?
    Ta

Re: Bruised toes

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Apologies if this is already covered somewhere else on the forum, but can anyone give me any advice about why I seem prone to bruised toes? Its always the fourth toe (on either foot) and seems to be brought on by downhills. Different shoes have inflicted the same thing on me at various times. I don't think I've got abnormally shaped toes. Am I buying my shoes too big? Or too small??? Or is it just part of running and I should just get on with it?
    Ta
    I always get bruised toes when fell racing and doing lots of descents. I just assumed it was part of being a fellrunner and because you can't avoid at least some of your toes hitting the ends of your shoes no matter how well your shoes fit. It will be interesting to see what others think!

Re: Bruised toes

One of my toenails turns blue and falls off with amazing ir/regularity...but it always grow back.

I think I have what is called "Morton's toe" which is where one of my toes is slightly longer than the big toe - and is therefore prone to this type of injury. Also my left foot is slightly bigger than my right foot which probably doesn't help either.... and so I tend to wear slightly thicker socks than some 'normal' runners for the cushioning effect and also wear the socks inside-out so that the stitching in the toe is not rubbing against my foot. In addition I use Hirschtalg, a kind of vaseline made from deer fat. I think it's a case of trial and error. Everybody is different. Find what suits you, stick with it and good luck