Thread: emergency food

emergency food

Probably a daft question but what amount of food constitutes emergency rations. Like would a flapjack or something do or does it need to be more substantial. Never been sure what the rules regarding this are. Presumibly I'm not allowed to eat it till the end of the race as well

Re: emergency food

Quote Originally Posted by detritus21 View Post
    Probably a daft question but what amount of food constitutes emergency rations. Like would a flapjack or something do or does it need to be more substantial. Never been sure what the rules regarding this are. Presumibly I'm not allowed to eat it till the end of the race as well
    I think anything will do to meet the requirements. I usually take a cereal bar.
    I would suggest you eat it when you need it. Don't wait till the end of the race if you're hungry.

If you get pulled up for not having any mergency food then tell them you had an emergency hunger attack!! If you have the wrapper (shame on you if you chuck it away) then there should be no problem
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"

Quote Originally Posted by detritus21 View Post
    I think most FRA races are quite relaxed about Emergency food and even a few jelly babbies will get you round, but on the long stuff I would say that Emergency food is just that so save a bit(Just a gel will do)

Races like the Fellsman are much more strict and they advise you to carry lots of food. Food to eat and emergency food which I believe has to be not smaller than 250g ( i think as I can't find my race booklet) If you use this that's ok but you will be disqualified.

I use Marzipan because it's heavy (when have we ever wanted to do that!) as it takes up less room in my pack.

Sandwiches and flask, bit of cake, maybe a pot noodle for a bit of a change .Seriously I've got a power bar wrapped up wit a pack of dextrose tablets to chuck in for the long events where you are specifically required to carry emergency food (dextrose tablets are not too good though when they get damp or go off and go rock hard!)

Ive got an old sealed high energy cracker from an american army ration pack..it would really have to be an emergeny for me to break it open, and it is small and light....never been challenged yet by any marshals or scrutineers..