Thread: Merano 2000

Merano 2000

Anyone done this race?

Over in Italy (ash allowing) and planned on doing it.

What's the deal with getting back to the start, run back down the same route?

Does the womens race go the same route, just shorter?

Any tips/advice?

Cheers

Re: Merano 2000

Hi Iain
    Did this race in 2007, it's a fantastic course and one I'd love to do again! Men start in the centre of Meran and apart from a short road climb the first 2/3 miles is fast and flattish before climbing up a steep road to the village Schena for a reprieve of a short flat stretch of road through the village - this is where the women start and since they start later than the Men there is a lot of support. The road steepens out of Schena and the route starts climbing steeply on trails through steep alpine woodland for much of the rest of the route. There is another breather at the top of the trails when the route returns to the road for a more gradual climb (think there is a good view of a waterfall), back into the woods with 2k to go before the final climb up a ski slope. There was a good map and course profile on the race website when I went that might still be there now, but this fails to do justice to the final climb which is absolute hell. Could not be more tough. I looked at it and saw a lot of runners and thought 'I can make some ground up here', they looked close...but it didn't show how tough the climb is. Seem to remember one guy was maybe 10m in front over the line but I finished 10-20 secs behind!
    Theres good food/drink at the top and there was a good view, but it was quite cold. There is a cable car to the bottom of the ski slope or a mad luge type ride. At the bottom there is a restaurant which does very good frittattensuppe (pancake soup) and from there a coach ferries competitors to Schena (most athletes stay here) and Meran.
    Hope you enjoy it, it's a lovely part of the world and a fantastic race!

Re: Merano 2000

Brilliant, saw you in the results so hoped you'd spot this,

We're down at lake garda all week at a wedding, so will do this on the way though, Sounds a brilliant race.

Good that we finish at the same point as well.

Cheers

Iain