Just reading back of the numerous replies which have sprung up whilst I've been typing my post.

Like others say what is a fell runners way of life? I come from a climbing background and its just the same, same utopian ideas. Wouldn't it be great to get out all the time with very few constraints put on time etc.

Sure sounds good, but but for alot of people it simply doesn't work they need structure i.e forced windows of time in which to commit to training or it simply doesn't happen. Then you have other issues such as limited funds due to lack of work etc so you can't just go off on a nice jaunt with your mates etc.

It really depends on what sort of person you are, maybe you just need to try it. That will pretty much be dictated by circumstances.

Don't get me wrong it does sounds attractive in some respects but I can see the drawbacks as well.

Personally more flexibility would be a reasonable compromise for the next few years, shortening my work hours is my first stop (9 day fortnight or similar) once the mortgage is paid off in 5 years then I'll probably look to set up by myself.