Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Work Life Balance?

Re: Work Life Balance?

I am reliably informed that Marg had not one but two hash browns with his brekkie this morning.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Although I am a bit olderr than you, it has also been liberating trying to use the car less and less. We use bikes whenever we can and enjoy the journey. Explore locally. Have got the mileage down from 12,000 to under 5,000 a year, most of which is three commutes a week which I am working on getting rid of. I feel better for it all round from many different angles and is anther lifestyle choice worth making in my opinion.

A minor word of warning to y'all choosing different paths.
    My mate, years ago whilst on the railway said he was going to own a nightclub and do all big things. Naturally as the miserable negative public sector worker I was I poo pood all his ideas!
    Now we live about 15 miles apart, and he has 12 rental properties, so is somewhat living the dream.
    BUT
    he has ended up on the treadmill of obsession, and I know this won't happen to any of us. Instead of owning a a few properties and enjoying the rental income, he's got obsessed, so much so that the 12 properties all have 12 quite tight mortgages. Fair play to him, better to have tried etc, but not for me. Result, he's still having to work and also do all the maintenance etc, and doesn't seem one bit happy. I guess he's still dreaming of the next one.......and the next one.....and the next one....etc. No time to enjoy his money! Madness.
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

i think you have to find a balance between being happy with what you've got and striving for something better - is anyone ever happy 100% of the time. if normal dissatisfaction in this country is aspiring to have more money and things, is the fell running dissatisfaction aspiring to have more time - i guess there will always be other people with more of what you want.

I don't think being 'happy' means having a smile on your face all the time. Just some of the time. It also involves lots of other emotions and feelings, including those that you can only get from doing a worthwhile job, hopefully part time! I agree with the sentiments above about people who get addicted to chasing money........'and then you find that, ten years have got behind you, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.....and you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, shorter of breath and one day closer to death'

What a fascinating thread. Even more insightful than the Fell Ponies!

At the ripe old age of 53 and after 35 years in the Civil Service I've recently made the decision to go part time. I basically had two choices, work full time until I'm 58 and a bit and then retire or go down to 3 days a week from next January but stay on until 60. I went for the part time option as I get my enjoyment from running/climbing and decided I wanted the extra time to do them while the body is still more or less working properly. I know I will be poorer in my older age but that's a sacrifice I can make and live with. (I have no responsibilities for others at home)

I know so many who have stayed on doing work they hated for a bit longer than they needed to, just to get some extra money and then they've died within weeks of retiring. You just don't know what the future will bring.
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

.......and I think, one way or another, 'the future will look after itself'.

A few things to throw into the hat.

I think it's ever-so-easy to fall into the trap of comparing your lot with people that seem to have more; instead of with those that are less fortunate. I do it all the time. And it's a recipe for discontent.

And 'stuff' is rapidly loosing it's value to me; it can start to restrict your ability to focus on the important things in life. I'm now in the process of getting rid of most of it. I just want to live a life with as few things as possible. And I ask the question: if somebody stole it would I replace it? If not, it goes.

I also like the quote from Hugh Laurie: "I've never been convinced that happiness is the object of the game. I'm wary of happiness. It is a snare and a delusion. It's jolly nice sometimes, like steak and chips, but is it a goal?"

Am I happy when I'm running? Sometimes. Often I feel pain and self-doubt. But it leaves me with an enormous sense of well-being afterwards. And I keep going back for more.

Here's to a minimalist life with enough time for running and each other.

I have found this whole thread fansinating and the number of people who are unhappy with their current work / life situation is astonishing. I feel that the grass is always greener on the otherside and it is only the very privalidged few who can experience the life that we all yern for.

That said, certain situations will not permit some being able to achieve the dream but others will achieve it by sheer doggedness or good fortune - no matter how they do get there I wish them well and would always be jealous !

I dont live in the area of the country that I want to, I dont have the family that I want and I am tied to my job for at least another 3 years, but when I am sat out in my garden next to the pond watching the fish and birds etc in the morning sun having a mug of coffee eating a buttie - I think is my life that bad - the answer is NO but I still aspire to improve it for myself and family - all these things are human nature that we all want that little bit more for a number of reasons.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Happiness is not having what you want, it is wanting what you have.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.