Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Work Life Balance?

Re: Work Life Balance?

And... I may be a wage slave on Monday, but I am a free man on Sunday!
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Errr... except today cause I've got a shed load of test papers to mark.

Still. Mustn't grumble.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Still. Mustn't grumble.
    hmmm well its 2.45am and Im off to Devon. Work mind, Any jobs going at your place

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deek View Post
    ........'and then you find that, ten years have got behind you, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.....and you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, shorter of breath and one day closer to death'

PINK FLOYD comes to mind
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    What a fascinating thread. Even more insightful than the Fell Ponies!

At the ripe old age of 53 and after 35 years in the Civil Service I've recently made the decision to go part time. I basically had two choices, work full time until I'm 58 and a bit and then retire or go down to 3 days a week from next January but stay on until 60. I went for the part time option as I get my enjoyment from running/climbing and decided I wanted the extra time to do them while the body is still more or less working properly. I know I will be poorer in my older age but that's a sacrifice I can make and live with. (I have no responsibilities for others at home)

I know so many who have stayed on doing work they hated for a bit longer than they needed to, just to get some extra money and then they've died within weeks of retiring. You just don't know what the future will bring.
    The number of people I know who have died within a year of retiring. I'm thinking of going part-time next year too at the age of 53 also .

Too right......'too old to loose the weight you used to need to throw around,'

Ok, tenuos link to fell running, but its in there somewhere.

Take time to listen to the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERbvKrH-GC4
    Last edited by Rainbow; 24-05-2010 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    but you could only do that for short while surely? Like a weekend in my case! I you were to do a serious spell of travelling round the UK, you'd need some sort of comfort to sleep in, and cooking, washing facilities, etc i.e., a converted van, a campervan, or a tent & camping gear.
    I'm 60 this year and the SO is 62. We've done 15 consecutive nights sleeping in the van ( island hopping the full length of the Outer Hebrides & visiting the highest point of every accessible island ) and Daz h will tell you that it's not a fancy, umpteen thousand pound, professionally converted van - just a set of luggage crates with inflatable mattresses over them and a hinge-down stove on the back door. Only two of those 15 nights were on official campsites! Had a similar 9 day trip to the Orkneys plus a full tour of the Brittany coastline!
    I think ZHR's post above fully outlines the basic weakness - too many people are 'comfort driven'.
    Boil up a kettle of water on the stove and use it to take the chill of a builder's bucket half full of cold water?? Wonderfully versatile piece of kit is a builder's bucket!!
    One very successful lady fell runner lived in her VW campervan for 3 months, in a layby just outside of Kendal, when her first marriage broke down - read "Feet in the Clouds".
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 25-05-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I'm 60 this year and the SO is 62. We've done 15 consecutive nights sleeping in the van ( island hopping the full length of the Outer Hebrides & visiting the highest point of every accessible island ) and Daz h will tell you that it's not a fancy, umpteen thousand pound, professionally converted van - just a set of luggage crates with inflatable mattresses over them and a hinge-down stove on the back door. Only two of those 15 nights were on official campsites! Had a similar 9 day trip to the Orkneys plus a full tour of the Brittany coastline!
    I think ZHR's post above fully outlines the basic weakness - too many people are 'comfort driven'.
    Boil up a kettle of water on the stove and use it to take the chill of a builder's bucket half full of cold water?? Wonderfully versatile piece of kit is a builder's bucket!!
    One very successful lady fell runner lived in her VW campervan for 3 months, in a layby just outside of Kendal, when her first marriage broke down - read "Feet in the Clouds".
    I was talking about weeks and months at a time - living in the thing, not just a couple of weeks here and there.

Do you want to live on a mattress and some pallets for a year WD? Come back and tell us about it afterwards.

Now having a tent in the back of a van to camp with qualifies as some sort of namby-pamby comfort-driven lifestyle ... perhaps I'll just find myself a cave, eh?