Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Forts Marathon

3 Forts Marathon

Just a space for any 3 Forters out there to chip in any thoughts about next weekends 27.2 mile Downland jaunt.

http://www.threefortsmarathon.org.uk/

Also I've the details of the aid stations (which for some reason aren't on the web site) from the organisers if anybody needs them.

Cheers - Raymond

Re: 3 Forts Marathon

Raymond - just a bit too far for me this one but I hope you have a cracker. I'll be doing the Bluebell 10K instead! Hope to see you at the Trundle - mail me if you need directions. Mark.

Have fun at the Bluebell and I hope to see you at the trundle.

Cheers - Raymond

You got your Trundle number yet?

Got round the 27 and a bit miles, 3,450 feet of climb, in 3.48 and was very pleased with it; positions haven't been posted yet but will up date when they are.

Cheers - Raymond

Good work Raymond - bet you're feeling it today. I ran the Bluebell 10K and managed 49m. Baker won in about 33 I think. Nice course; poor organisation. I was suffering from my 1hr 45 blast in Yorkshire on Wednesday and me legs were like lead. Still enjoyed it though. Restorative dip in the sea today I think.

Resulte now up at http://www.threefortsmarathon.org.uk...sults-2007.asp: 3.48.19 and 19th out of 189.

Cheers - Raymond

Well done Raymond- good running on a tough course. How was it?

Well done Raymond.
    The race has obviously grown - when I did it back in 2000 there were only 70 runners, and my 4:06 put me in 19th place.
    Must get round to doing it again.

The weather was good; overcast with a fair breeze from west/south west. The paths were very hard underfoot; no suprise for the chalk and flint sections, but the mud tracks and even the open grassland were fairly well baked. Anyone doing the Downland Ultra in July will I'm sure have to face even direr, harder conditions.

I had run the 1/2 course last year, and in training earlier this year so there were no suprises there. I had also run the rest of the course in training but starting out from the Devils Dyke end.

The big suprise for me was how much the descents took out of my legs; I know this won't be news to anyone on these forums but it was a new experience for me over this sort of distance at the pace I was doing. I would have been helped by more long runs in training and not going out so fast; I was in 8th place when we turned at Devils Dyke.

The result was that from Chanctonbury back to the finish my thighs, calves, ankles and the soles of my feet really hurt (I was wearing Flyrocs when raod shoes would have done). One of the things that kept me going at some sort of reasonable pace, was remembering how much more Edale hurt; if I could do that then this wasn't really a problem.

One of the hardest parts of the day was having to walk the best part of three miles down to Worthing station to get a train back to Brighton; next year I'll be more sorted about transport to and from the race.

Cheers - Raymond