Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bridleways and footpaths

Went for a lovely run up Round Hill from Timble this morning. Sadly the path had been badly chewed up by OFFROAD MOTORBIKES. This is illegal - there are signs at all entry points saying 'No motor vehicles'. The riders risk having their bikes confiscated. I will be reporting this to the police.

Banned
    I have been asked to discuss mount my mountain bike while on footpaths.

Around Buckstones edge the off road motor bikes although illegal keep paths visible and open.

Different views.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I have been asked to discuss mount my mountain bike while on footpaths.

Around Buckstones edge the off road motor bikes although illegal keep paths visible and open.

Different views.
    Dis mount

Already a serious issue with MTB on the west Pennine Moors and on my last run on Winter Hill there were two motorbikes (who had removed their number plates so they could not be reported easily) and a 4wd vehicle had chewed up the descent to Belmont.

Holy thread resurrection MattPo!

I thought it was current until I saw a whole list of old regulars who have not posted for years! Gravymuncher, Marrow, Rudolph Hooker, where are you now??!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Holy thread resurrection MattPo!

I thought it was current until I saw a whole list of old regulars who have not posted for years! Gravymuncher, Marrow, Rudolph Hooker, where are you now??!
    Haha! Good point Wheeze. Marrow - still running pretty fast, in a Holmfirth vest these days. Rudolph Hooker - saw him in the pub last Thursday.

Does anybody here know the correct etiquette for a biker passing a pedestrian from behind?

I was knocked flying this morning by a cyclist this morning running down a single track lane. I was running full pelt and heard a shout, I looked over my shoulder and saw nothing but jumped up the bank to avoid whatever it was and he absolutely clattered me. He obviously hadn't slowed down at all. He started shouting at me and calling me all sorts of names. Said he told me to stay still and that I was an idiot. I gave it right back and said all I'd heard was a shout, which could've been anything and that it was up to him to give me the correct care given that he was aware of me well before I was.

I had to walk 3 miles home and was lucky the sun was out for once. Hopefully there's not much more than a slight twist and a bad graze to get over.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by thegnigma View Post
    Does anybody here know the correct etiquette for a biker passing a pedestrian from behind?

I was knocked flying this morning by a cyclist this morning running down a single track lane. I was running full pelt and heard a shout, I looked over my shoulder and saw nothing but jumped up the bank to avoid whatever it was and he absolutely clattered me. He obviously hadn't slowed down at all. He started shouting at me and calling me all sorts of names. Said he told me to stay still and that I was an idiot. I gave it right back and said all I'd heard was a shout, which could've been anything and that it was up to him to give me the correct care given that he was aware of me well before I was.

I had to walk 3 miles home and was lucky the sun was out for once. Hopefully there's not much more than a slight twist and a bad graze to get over.
    I think the fundamental rule of etiquette, anywhere (footpaths, bridleways, roads), is that the faster mover should be prepared to give way to the slower. We runners should treat walkers with respect, cyclists should give way to runners (where the cyclist is going faster), and motorists be prepared to slow down for cyclists.

The cyclist who hit you was clearly out of order. It is fine to give a shout when approaching from behind, but he should also have had a hand on the brake lever and been prepared to slow down to your pace until it was clearly safe to overtake; and he had no right to expect you to stay still.

For myself, if I was running and became aware of a cyclist trying to overtake, I would keep going in a straight line to make my movements predictable to the cyclist as he looked for an opportunity to overtake. The danger with moving to the side is that the cyclist might move to the same side.

Anyway, I hope your injuries are nothing serious.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

A walking pole could also come in handy.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I think the fundamental rule of etiquette, anywhere (footpaths, bridleways, roads), is that the faster mover should be prepared to give way to the slower. We runners should treat walkers with respect, cyclists should give way to runners (where the cyclist is going faster), and motorists be prepared to slow down for cyclists.

The cyclist who hit you was clearly out of order. It is fine to give a shout when approaching from behind, but he should also have had a hand on the brake lever and been prepared to slow down to your pace until it was clearly safe to overtake; and he had no right to expect you to stay still.

For myself, if I was running and became aware of a cyclist trying to overtake, I would keep going in a straight line to make my movements predictable to the cyclist as he looked for an opportunity to overtake. The danger with moving to the side is that the cyclist might move to the same side.

Anyway, I hope your injuries are nothing serious.
    Riding a horse along a bridleway when cyclists appear is often interesting! To be fair, most slow or stop if it's tight, which is always much appreciated. Very occasionally, you'll find some cyclist with very little animal sense who flashes by in bright colours, putting themselves, the horse and rider at potentially great (fatal) risk.

As a runner, running from my house along the lane to the fell I often meet one of my neighbours who trains Dales, out on a training ride. It's always polite and prudent to stop and wait quietly until they've past, as young horses can easily spook at bright coloured pertex tops, etc.
    Am Yisrael Chai