Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridleways and footpaths

Re: Bridleways and footpaths

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Yeah. and dont get me onto horses. And cows, they should be shot
    Most of them are shot - eventually!!

Fair point clodhopper, he probably wasn't causing anymore erosion than years of walkers, but, he wasn't doing it any good either. If there are alternatives which are more suited to MTB's then i feel they should be used. Although he wasn't moving fast enough to be hazardous, some inconsiderate bikers do not slow down. I run with my dog and some have actually aimed at her 'for a laugh'. This kind of totally irresponsible and cruel behaviour spoils a nice day out running. I like to talk these things over but God help the next one that tries it, i think his pump may find a new resting place.

You're suggestion has one fatal flaw; there are alternatives that are more suited to running too. Perhaps all runners should run on the track, so that they don't cause erosion as well?

Not only are there fewer mountian bikers, but each one causes less erosion than walkers and runners in most cases - eg unsightly steps all the way up Grisdale Pike that are the result of walkers and runners all stepping in the same places. Same coming down hills; bikes flow over the ground, while runenrs and walkers are constantly fighting the terrain and causing erosion.

I think the main point here is that if everyone, be it walker, runner, cyclist, whatever, if they all behave responsibly we should be able to get along fine. I think it's unwise to start pointing the finger at one perpetrator while conveniently ignoring another.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravymuncher View Post
    You're suggestion has one fatal flaw; there are alternatives that are more suited to running too. Perhaps all runners should run on the track, so that they don't cause erosion as well?

Not only are there fewer mountian bikers, but each one causes less erosion than walkers and runners in most cases - eg unsightly steps all the way up Grisdale Pike that are the result of walkers and runners all stepping in the same places. Same coming down hills; bikes flow over the ground, while runenrs and walkers are constantly fighting the terrain and causing erosion.
    And if the ground is wet and muddy?

The worst erosion is caused by rain running down channels in the path. This can be caused by sheer numbers of walkers, but the easiest way is to ride bikes down soft paths on steep slopes when they're wet - hence it's irresponsible to ride on such paths (and you'll find very few of these are bridleways).

On the other hand it is ludicrous to find made-up tracks that are perfect for bikes with "No Bikes" signs. Although I'm pro enforcement of "bikes only on bridleways" I'm also in favour of reassigning many footpaths for bikes. I'm not just a kill joy!

I don't mind meeting mountain bikes..........but I would like more warning when they are going to over take me. Maybe ring a bell or something........

I agree Wily vet , a large hooter would be nice. Some don't shout , i do and slow down, god, why is everyone in a rush? There's miles of the good stuff out there.

I find the same is true when you're running too. You can frighten the life out of people. I find a gentle clearing of the throat (ahem style) does the trick.

True Clodhopper. Must admit on narrow country roads , (if i have to use them) , i pick up a stick so that cars will give me more room.I carry it in a horizontal position , seems more bothered about paintwork than me or my dog.