Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridleways and footpaths

Bridleways and footpaths

I was training on the route of the Lyke Wake today , just below Shunner Howe, i saw a man wheeling his MTB . I told him it wasn't a bridleway, just to advise him really. His reply was that it wasn't a footpath????????? yeah right.
    I get a bit sick of some idiots (this fella was intelligent , no chav) cycling on footpaths, it wasn't rideable , hence him pushing. I cycle too so this isn't a rant against MTBs , just against those who can't be arsed to read symbols on maps, or do then ignore them anyway.
    Today i saw 2 adders on the path, wonder if he slowed to avoid them, i only just noticed them whilst running.
    Whats anyone think about this? Am i being too pedantic?
    I believe in Live and let live but not at the expense of the environment.

Re: Bridleways and footpaths

In Scotland we all seem to get along fine either on bike or on foot. Maybe its a case of live and let live. Was he bothering you? Not sure which part of the LWW you were on but certainly east of Blakey Ridge a lot of it isn't a public foot path in the legal sense so perhaps he had a point.

In Scotland cyclists are legally allowed to go where walkers can go.

Cyclists get a very poor deal in Engalnd and Wales.

Here's an interesting article about cycling in the countryside.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    In Scotland we all seem to get along fine either on bike or on foot. Maybe its a case of live and let live. Was he bothering you?
    Perhaps it's because the paths are less heavily used in Scotland? In the Peak and the Lakes the bikes are a big erosion problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Perhaps it's because the paths are less heavily used in Scotland? In the Peak and the Lakes the bikes are a big erosion problem.
    Ah so it's not the hundreds of thousands of walkers then?

LOL, I was going to make a point about the erosion up mountains such as Grisdale Pike, which is clearly the result of walkers/runners and the minimal impact of mountain bikers in the Lakes, due to their vastly fewer numbers, regardless of whether you accept that bikes cause less erosion than walkers in a lot of cases, but I'm a bit busy to be writing essays tonight.

Worth noting though - I caused more erosion running off Scafell Pike when I did the Borrowdale a couple of years ago than in all my time mountain biking.

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    In Scotland cyclists are legally allowed to go where walkers can go.
    In England we go one better, anywhere a cyclist can go so can motorcycles and 4 x 4s

I was reading somewhere about cycles and motorbikes on footpaths. Someone had been taken to court for pushing a motorbike down an alleyway with the engine off. It was ruled that they were not breaking the law on footpaths as they were pushing not riding. If they were to scoot along the footpath with a foot on a peg or in the case of a bike on a peddle then they are riding it so contravene the law. In this case mentioned above at that particular point they weren't breaking the law. but of course they wouldn't dream of riding along that path

Its a big can of worms this one. I always find with a bit of consideration and common sense we can all enjoy the countryside together. There is always a minority that seem to want to spoil it for the majority though!

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    I was training on the route of the Lyke Wake today , just below Shunner Howe, i saw a man wheeling his MTB .
    As the previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    I told him it wasn't a bridleway, just to advise him really. His reply was that it wasn't a footpath????????? yeah right.
    He could have been lost, as I do all the time (when running as well!) Usually some gruff farmers tries to stop me crossing their land, and I explain that I am lost! They usually guide me in the right direction.
    Or he genuinely thought it was a bridleway!
    There is an unadopted path that paople complain at bikes going down near me (private land that belongs to a friend) which when you point out that techically you cannot even walk down it as well, they don't believe me! Just that it would be too hard to security fence it in so he lets people use it!
    www.vlaevents.co.uk Fancy something different?