Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridleways and footpaths

Re: Bridleways and footpaths

My understanding was that both bikes, motor bikes and horses were classed as unnatural accompaniments, so you can't even push them on the pavement, or on a footpath legally?

But if you drive a BMW, Porche or large 4x4 you can park it there

Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    Its a big can of worms this one. I always find with a bit of consideration and common sense we can all enjoy the countryside together. There is always a minority that seem to want to spoil it for the majority though!
    Pretty much agree, though do you not find sometimes on the IOM it's often not clear whether there's a no bikes area or not. I try and avoid riding on footpaths, especially where it tells you not to, but I have on a number of occasions pushed my bike along a footpath where bicycles were forbidden (not realising it was a no bikes path until I got to it, I needed to get through to a specific point to continue my ride). No-one said anything and I like to think I was following the rules (not riding it), but I suppose it only takes one person to kick up a fuss.

Mind you over here, it appears that a lot of landowners are a lot more enlightened than across, and they don't even seem to object to you running/walking over their land as long as you don't disturb their stock. That said, I make a special effort to either avoid areas where races pass through, or at least seek permission before crossing that land if on a recce.

Just wondering who owns that land down by Injerbreck as I want to find a faster + clearer route up Colden for next years MMM. In the past have just gone the normal way, but this thread (& richies comments) have set me thinking who exactly it belongs to and should I be getting permission to cross the land?
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravymuncher View Post
    My understanding was that both bikes, motor bikes and horses were classed as unnatural accompaniments, so you can't even push them on the pavement, or on a footpath legally?
    Yer - strictly speaking, you have to CARRY your bike to comply with the law on a footpath. Bit of a bugger if it happens to be a Kawasaki or an Arab stallion - but, as they say, the law is the law.

The cyclist wasn't lost and claimed he rides it a lot. Yes although the tracks east of Blakey are no denoted as public footpaths, it's pretty damn obvious they are and continuous use means they will be eventually. There should be access for all outdoor users but my point is , if it damages the environment then don't use it.There are miles and miles of good cycleable bridleways nearby, the old railway , George Gap Causeway etc. This turkey decided he was going to cycle it and thats that. Locally to me footpaths are used by some folks on bike often at too fast a speed considering small children and dogs around. These modern Mountain Bikes are no small machines .

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    The cyclist wasn't lost and claimed he rides it a lot. Yes although the tracks east of Blakey are no denoted as public footpaths, it's pretty damn obvious they are and continuous use means they will be eventually. There should be access for all outdoor users but my point is , if it damages the environment then don't use it.There are miles and miles of good cycleable bridleways nearby, the old railway , George Gap Causeway etc. This turkey decided he was going to cycle it and thats that. Locally to me footpaths are used by some folks on bike often at too fast a speed considering small children and dogs around. These modern Mountain Bikes are no small machines .

But high volumes of walker/runners damage the environment severely and the LWW particularly suffers from this. Did your cyclist create more damage than the thousands of walkers who passed previously? If not why should the cyclist be picked on where environmental issues are concerned? I remember the LWW east of Blakey was about 20' wide over a lot of its length. Was this caused by cyclists?

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    But high volumes of walker/runners damage the environment severely and the LWW particularly suffers from this.
    Not as much damage as the bleedin' moto x meeting that was held on Sunday across the only decent path I've got near me!

It's was barely runnable anyway after last year when they dug it up with a JCB!

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Not as much damage as the bleedin' moto x meeting that was held on Sunday across the only decent path I've got near me!

It's was barely runnable anyway after last year when they dug it up with a JCB!
    Yeah. and dont get me onto horses. And cows, they should be shot

I'm tempted to find out who gave permission for the moto x event by me. They used to use the side of the hill, then last year they added a lap on the flat at the top of the 'hill', which they cleared with a JCB. I think it's actually private land with a 'permissive path' granted to the Woodland Trust, so I guess someone has actually allowed them to completely trash it.

It's dry at the moment so apart from being badly rutted it's passable. Once it rains it'll turn into a quagmire.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I'm tempted to find out who gave permission for the moto x event by me. They used to use the side of the hill, then last year they added a lap on the flat at the top of the 'hill', which they cleared with a JCB. I think it's actually private land with a 'permissive path' granted to the Woodland Trust, so I guess someone has actually allowed them to completely trash it.

It's dry at the moment so apart from being badly rutted it's passable. Once it rains it'll turn into a quagmire.
    Once in the Gunnerside Gill area when there was some kind of moto x event using the same one foot wide path I was on. not at all nice.