Page 43 of 59 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

If I have the power to create my own reality then this depression is all my fault...

...which it probably is

but creating a better reality seems utterly impossible.

Hang on in there, Stagger. One little step at a time.
    And then a cup of tea.

As Mr B has exposed, nothing is impossible with the power of positive thought. But the trick, of course, is to generate those positive thoughts and see them through to reality.
    Trouble is, there is no 'one size fits all' solution to this. I try to think 'what if it was me?'
    I do know that, for me, when a difficult or seemingly impossible goal is out there, it really helps to write down what that goal is and then write down how I think I can get there and, on the other side, what is getting in the way. By doing this, I crystallize those factors into small, discrete packages that can be dealt with in turn rather than worrying about the big stretch to the goal. Visualisation really helps, for me at least.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    This is great if you do actually "have the power to create your own reality". But as you yourself said in an earlier post, "What's true for me is not necessarily true for you." For some people, having a source of healing outside of themselves may be just what they need.
    This quite accurately represents where recovery splits into two possible pathways; mainstream or alternative.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    If I have the power to create my own reality then this depression is all my fault...

...which it probably is
    Leaf, can you be absolutely sure that blaming yourself is the right thing to do?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Leaf, can you be absolutely sure that blaming yourself is the right thing to do?
    Certainly not. You need to find a middle way between, on the one hand, thinking of yourself as a victim who can't do anything to help yourself, and on the other hand, blaming yourself for not having the willpower to sort out all of your problems. Wheeze and Mr B have come up with some useful ideas that you can try, but don't condemn yourself if they don't work perfectly when you try them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post

...which it probably is

but creating a better reality seems utterly impossible.
    I'm with you Leaf, the depression takes away all my power, strength and motivation. Everything is a massive headache and effort.

My problems are reliant on other parties at work and around me, who appear to be making the pain greater.

I can't solve them no matter what I do and things just keep stacking up behind.

Having just come back from holiday, I ate sensible and while the moment is here I am attempting to carry that on. The 2 weeks outside real life did me a lot of good.

But coming back is very hard work.

Dig in Leaf and if you want a chat just PM me��

Super Moderator
    depression takes away all my power, strength and motivation. Everything is a massive headache and effort is a very good definition of the illness. It sums things up eloquently
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I know that Leaf's situation is by no means her fault, far from it; but on the other hand is it not good to 'take ownership' of the situations that you find yourself in, rather than always laying the blame at someone else's feet?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Certainly not. You need to find a middle way between, on the one hand, thinking of yourself as a victim who can't do anything to help yourself, and on the other hand, blaming yourself for not having the willpower to sort out all of your problems. Wheeze and Mr B have come up with some useful ideas that you can try, but don't condemn yourself if they don't work perfectly when you try them.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

This morning I was planning on not seeing out the end of the day.
    This afternoon I was running the fell race at Arncliffe gala.
    Tomorrow morning I will have to face another day.
    Anxiety and depression is the hardest challenge I have ever been confronted with.

Two books I've been recommended...

https://thinkingaboutsuicide.org

https://www.eckharttolle.com/books/now/

Banned
    I'm here for you mate, ant time, just PM me.

You have over come the biggest hurdle by opening up to people who care.

This thread has various people suffering in a multitude of ways alone with some clever professional's who put excellent points across.

One of the main things is communication, it takes a piece of baggage from you and you see how others deal with it.

Have you got any support in place to help you? If so when is your next appointment?

In a fell race the spectators will shout "dig in lad" as you struggle up a steep climb.

This is almost vertical but with your inner strength and peoples encouragement you will summit.

DIG IN LAD��
    Last edited by Stagger; 13-08-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: added more content