Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Re: Depression

tough one to crack, but it can be managed. do you know why i left our place of work? yes, it got me. it's not that we are soft or nutty, it's much harder to put a handle on it, why it has affected us and why us? the biggest problem was the undo able job and the ineffectual management and there lack of acknowledgement of the crap going on, hell they couldn't run a bath. i find that i have to go running, this is my medicine. without it i soon find my black moods descending. i know we have taken the piss out of each other in the past, but if there is anything i can do, just yell! i'm sure a run out with me and lofty would give you a lift, if you can go as slow as me! it will take time to find your own ways of trying to manage this, but things can get better. try and find a bright side to look at! Pete.
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

Quote Originally Posted by haworth hobbler View Post
    i find that i have to go running, this is my medicine. without it i soon find my black moods descending
    I know how that feels, i've consistently run through chronic injury all year in the name of sanity...pardon the Meldrew speak. I'm currently on a break of 5wks and i know the cracks are going to come at some stage, i've a feeling my ankles are going to need longer though, could be tough and i may have to hand my notice in at work if something needs to give.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I haven't read the whole thread but apropos I always remember an old guy who cheered me up once when I was feeling a little bit down in the dumps. I wouldn't say that I've ever had depression but I've my grey days and I've had many exasperating times. Anyway this was the time when I'd just had my knee operation about 15 years ago and I was walking on the moors as part of my recovery and wondering about life, the universe and everything and if I'd ever get fit enough to run again etc., etc..
    Back in the pub at the bottom of the hill I met an old guy aged about 80 or 85. He had his fishing rods with him. "Been running?" he asked. And I explained that I'd only been walking. "I used to run, " he continued. "Got too old for that, so I took up cycling. Got too old for cycling so next thing I took up walking. Got to old to walk so lately I've took up fishing. And when I'm too old for fishing, well then I'll think of something else."
    I always remember those wise words. Now that I'm injured yet again I've got myself a couple of Nordic Walking sticks. And, what the hell, I'm enjoying the new challenges, the new experiences, tripping over the sticks, seeing the children laugh at me. "So it goes," as Kurt Vonnegut would say.

Hope this little anecdote helps someone somewhere.
    Last edited by woodlander; 27-06-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Ta. Keep on keeping on.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    All I need now is a little more focus to lose some weight and train more.

Thanks again
    Trev
    Well my friend you have seen me naked, no way can you look as bad as me, well done pal keep it up, and don't forget to thank Mrs Stagger, i have no doubt that she has helped you. xxx
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by woodlander View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread but apropos I always remember an old guy who cheered me up once when I was feeling a little bit down in the dumps. I wouldn't say that I've ever had depression but I've my grey days and I've had many exasperating times. Anyway this was the time when I'd just had my knee operation about 15 years ago and I was walking on the moors as part of my recovery and wondering about life, the universe and everything and if I'd ever get fit enough to run again etc., etc..
    Back in the pub at the bottom of the hill I met an old guy aged about 80 or 85. He had his fishing rods with him. "Been running?" he asked. And I explained that I'd only been walking. "I used to run, " he continued. "Got too old for that, so I took up cycling. Got too old for cycling so next thing I took up walking. Got to old to walk so lately I've took up fishing. And when I'm too old for fishing, well then I'll think of something else."
    I always remember those wise words. Now that I'm injured yet again I've got myself a couple of Nordic Walking sticks. And, what the hell, I'm enjoying the new challenges, the new experiences, tripping over the sticks, seeing the children laugh at me. "So it goes," as Kurt Vonnegut would say.

Hope this little anecdote helps someone somewhere.
    i love this story brilliant! thank you
    and we run because we like it through the broad bright land

Hi Staggers,

If you read the post i added, your see why i have been depressed.

What i have been taking is a tablet called 5HTP 50mg, i take it before bed, and it helps me sleep, also the morning later i feel more chilled, and, for me which is a bonus, its lost my appetite LOL!

Id, advise you to maybe look it up on google, and at moment H&B has a special price, sommat like buy one and get 2nd half price.

There is a video about it.... Here

I was told about these tablets by the consultant i saw for Fibromalgia, he told me that they have been a hit with alot of his patients for depression. One of my friends who i would never have thought she would take these type of tablets is on them, shes the type who never looks anxious, and shes been on them for 6 months.

The best for me if it helps me curb my appetite LOL!

I hope you are feeling better, big hugs xx (and from a cuddly lass thats got to make you laugh!) xx
    Last edited by NirvanaBliss; 21-07-2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: to add video link

robinmarkk

Depression is a dangerous disease. But it is not a end of life. There are so many ways to overcoming depression.

1. Consult the best medical doctor.

2. Do not take more stress

3. Listen your favourite music.

4. Eat medicine regularly.

5. Sleep well.

6. Family support.

7. Develope new friendship and Relationship.

8. Holiday with your family.

And don't forget the dictionary and Fowler's Guide to the Use of the English Language.

Master and MR

I was listening to the issue of anti depressants yesterday on talk sport ( Mike Parry and someone else). The issue was the prescribing of them.
    Now driving up the A1 I listened as these two tried to draw the line between unhappy and genuinely depressed and how in the past over the years doctors have been slaughtered for just handing them out like sweets. Clearly its a very difficult area for a GP and not an easy decision to make. My own personal experience of the NHS and medication towards depression has been good.
    I did smile though when they tried to sway the people ringing in to say if they should ever have been prescribed them in the first place.
    The problem was they had callers on that had say taken meds 6/7 years ago and where now okay but where saying that it took them 2 years to come off them. The two presenters were classing this as addiction. God that wound me up so much!!!!!!.

One thing that I dont think people realise is the nature of how anti depressants work and how long you could potentially be on them. Its difficult for a GP to explain this to a patient who has come into the practice and is very very depressed. You are instantly assesed and its like a rollercoaster ride.
    GPs have 7 mins per person