Page 19 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Re: Depression

Wain, the book described by Zenrunner has been a revelation for me.

I will have to give it a look, cheers.

It's only just over a quid for the kindle edition.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Your-S...A3TVV12T0I6NSM

Quote Originally Posted by Erich K View Post
    Quite agree BB, I think that's why a lot of us have taken to the hills. I've never been diagnosed with clinical depression but have had some bleak episodes in my life and over time (although I'm classed as a junior member I'm over 50) have learnt that a good balance of physical and mental activity helps you avoid 'mulling' over everything, your life, your relationships etc, which for me is when the depression takes a hold. I know this is overly simplistic but for me running, particularly on trails and fells, helps to keep me in balance as a person and regulates my daily pattern by keeping stress at bay, helping me sleep better at nights, eating with an appetite and so on.
    There is research evidence that exercise promotes the same chemical reaction in the brain as antidepressants and anyone with low mood should always try to exercise at whatever level they can and they should feel a response from this. The problem with antidepressants is that they take a while to work (6-8 weeks ususally) and often lift energy/motivation before mood, this can be dangerous if the person taking them is having worrying thoughts in terms of personal safety. medication treats symptoms not causes, i'm not against meds by any means and they have their place in many peoples recovery but i do find a more holistic view to treatment is needed. Sleep is crucial and making sure this is maintained is paramount. Look after your diet and as already stated keep active. If the depression is driven by adjustment (like a trauma or life event) then some kind of talking therapy may be beneficial, i notice people have been mentioning some useful literature and i would like to throw in Mark Williams 'mindfull way through depression' it has a fantastic CD included as well with some mindfulness exercises which many have found really useful. I would say though, if anyone is feeling low and experiencing a decline in self care and mood, get along to your GP and get signposted to professional help, forums are great for tips but trust professionals. If it helps, i am a mental health charge nurse in love with running.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by lazydayswill View Post
    There is research evidence that exercise promotes the same chemical reaction in the brain as antidepressants and anyone with low mood should always try to exercise at whatever level they can and they should feel a response from this. The problem with antidepressants is that they take a while to work (6-8 weeks ususally) and often lift energy/motivation before mood, this can be dangerous if the person taking them is having worrying thoughts in terms of personal safety. medication treats symptoms not causes, i'm not against meds by any means and they have their place in many peoples recovery but i do find a more holistic view to treatment is needed. Sleep is crucial and making sure this is maintained is paramount. Look after your diet and as already stated keep active. If the depression is driven by adjustment (like a trauma or life event) then some kind of talking therapy may be beneficial, i notice people have been mentioning some useful literature and i would like to throw in Mark Williams 'mindfull way through depression' it has a fantastic CD included as well with some mindfulness exercises which many have found really useful. I would say though, if anyone is feeling low and experiencing a decline in self care and mood, get along to your GP and get signposted to professional help, forums are great for tips but trust professionals. If it helps, i am a mental health charge nurse in love with running.
    That is good advice, LDW.

There is this resource also, The Big White Wall, which has received good reviews, and may be helpful to some.

http://www.bigwhitewall.com/my-accou...?ReturnUrl=%2f

Sarah
    a rush and a push and the land is ours

Excellent advice indeed.

My problems are more anxiety related - I seem to have managed to overcome the depression although it can get you down at times, feeling very anxious.

The hardest thing for me was early morning wakening. Lying at 4am wide awake and stomach churning and adrenaline rushing through the body for no apparent reason.

Lying there trying to get back to sleep until 7 or 8am just drained me for the rest of the day.

As hard as it may be the best advice I can give is to try and get up off that bed and make a cup of tea and sit and watch telly. Easier said than done but I know that when I get up I may feel like crap but within a short time the worst of the anxiety passes.
    I think it is important for people who have been there done that to share and keep it positive.

The right words at the right time can bring immense relief.

Quote Originally Posted by granty View Post
    Excellent advice indeed.

My problems are more anxiety related - I seem to have managed to overcome the depression although it can get you down at times, feeling very anxious.
    Our lass suffers from anxiety - last night she was on the computer and I only asked what was taking so long and that set her off - she then felt panicy and that I was having a go at her. It was said in a normal tone of voice. This is something that she is learning to cope with slowly.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by granty View Post
    Excellent advice indeed.

The hardest thing for me was early morning wakening. Lying at 4am wide awake and stomach churning and adrenaline rushing through the body for no apparent reason.

Lying there trying to get back to sleep until 7 or 8am just drained me for the rest of the day.

As hard as it may be the best advice I can give is to try and get up off that bed and make a cup of tea and sit and watch telly. Easier said than done but I know that when I get up I may feel like crap but within a short time the worst of the anxiety passes.
    I think it is important for people who have been there done that to share and keep it positive.

The right words at the right time can bring immense relief.
    There is historical evidence for 'segmented sleep' up until the 17th century - see this BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

"........these references describe a first sleep which began about two hours after dusk, followed by waking period of one or two hours and then a second sleep. "It's not just the number of references - it is the way they refer to it, as if it was common knowledge," Ekirch says. During this waking period people were quite active. They often got up, went to the toilet or smoked tobacco and some even visited neighbours. Most people
    stayed in bed, read, wrote and often prayed"

It may be that we were never meant to sleep all through the night in one session.....?
    ......yes, I know I'm a bit muddy

interesting article.

Funnily enough. For me, when the anxiety isn't bothering me you'd need a rocket to get me out my bed lol!

Sore legs, what age is she? I find I get very irritable when my anxiety levels are up. Have learned to recognise it and not take it out on other people by being grumpy and to not feel guilty about it either - when I do that it tends to go away very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich K View Post
    There is historical evidence for 'segmented sleep' up until the 17th century - see this BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

"........these references describe a first sleep which began about two hours after dusk, followed by waking period of one or two hours and then a second sleep. "It's not just the number of references - it is the way they refer to it, as if it was common knowledge," Ekirch says. During this waking period people were quite active. They often got up, went to the toilet or smoked tobacco and some even visited neighbours. Most people
    stayed in bed, read, wrote and often prayed"

It may be that we were never meant to sleep all through the night in one session.....?
    I tend to sleep like that, 10.45pm till about 3 or 4am. Awake for an hour or so, maybe get up for a drink, then another couple of hours' sleep till 7am. In the summer I'll sometimes get up and do odd jobs for a couple of hours, it's a lovely quiet time of day.