Page 22 of 59 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Super Moderator
    Trev, sorry to hear your news. I've been there. Be kind to yourself. Andrew
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Mum is on her last legs and they have stopped administering drugs and are just making her comfortable.
    The end is ni.
    At piece soon mum, love you.
    Sorry to hear this Trev, thoughts are with you all.

Sincere sympathies Trev.

Your never a burden, keep talking.
    pies

Banned
    R.I.P. Trev's mum.
    Tears and beers

Super Moderator
    Thoughts with you and yours Trev

Take care there Trev, thoughts are with you.

Make sure you look after yourself

Hello. I hope you don't mind me joining your thread Stagger, but I'm really struggling too.

Running has long been a great source of help, both the practice of running and the friends I've made through running. I love running in the hills.

But what about when running adds to my sense of failure - when I'm not fast enough to run with my friends or be part of teams, when my determination, self-discipline and training are no longer enough to get me out? What do I do then?

Give up running? Might just as well give up living. So I must keep on running then. But sometimes I just don't have the heart to run and even if I'm out in the hills I just want to stop and curl up by the path.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    But what about when running adds to my sense of failure - when I'm not fast enough to run with my friends or be part of teams, when my determination, self-discipline and training are no longer enough to get me out? What do I do then?
    Leaf, the following may not be much help, but I will do my best.

Most runners lose the motivation to run now and then, regardless of whether they have depression. It is often best simply to stop running for two or three weeks: what typically happens then is that the hunger for running returns, and the first run after such a lay-off feels hard physically but great psychologically.

Give up running? Might just as well give up living.
    Yes, that pretty well sums up what depression feels like. Are you getting any help? Phone the Samaritans when you just want someone to talk to, who won't mind what you say, however incoherent/daft etc it may sound. But also get professional help (start with your GP).

And finally:

Hello. I hope you don't mind me joining your thread Stagger, but I'm really struggling too.
    I can't speak personally for Stagger, but the whole point of this thread seems to be to give people with depression space to sound off about it, which is always better than bottling it up.

Super Moderator
    Good advice Anthony. Spot on

Master
    Most areas of the country now have IAPT services (Improving access to psychological therapies). Although your GP can and should refer you, they often don't. However IAPT usually offer a self referral route often by phone via a direct referral number available on your local NHS website or via GP surgery, who should carry appropriate posters and advice leaflets. IAPT is aimed at mild to moderate depression and anxiety but also serve to gate keep and refer to secondary services. Main mode of treatment is CBT talking therapies.
    Last edited by Corniceman; 29-05-2016 at 10:39 PM.