Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Leaf, there's some good advice above for you. And your type of character will help determine the best method of addressing the problem. What works for one, may not work for another. CBT is a very useful therapy for some, doesn't sit well with others.

So, depending on your personal view, I'd also suggest that it's worth reflecting on your reasons for running and trying to strip that back to its core and, if you truly find that you enjoy it just for the sake of it, practice in allowing yourself just to enjoy a run, whatever the pace, however you feel on that particular day, and take no notice of times, paces etc. Run without a watch!

I think we can all get caught up in that "I'm not good enough at running" belief and yet, unless you are striving to be one of the very fasties, you're good enough if you are out there and putting one foot in front of the other.

It's not instant, believe me. I've taken several years to finally be comfortable with why and how I want to run now. I still get the feelings that I "should/" be going faster, that I "should" be doing races, that I "should" be fitter. The difference is that, most of the time, I'm able to recognise those feelings and let them drift straight on by and get back to just enjoying the peace and solitude of the run.

Good luck.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Thank you for the helpful advice. Yes, I am getting professional help, but I've never heard of IAPT.

I can't put it into words very well, but it means a lot to me that you (Anthony, DerbyTup and Corniceman) have taken the trouble to reply. It makes me feel a little less isolated and that I might actually be part of the fell running fraternity.

Banned
    Thanks for the support for me, Leaf and the others who suffer from this illness.
    It helps to talk and to know your never alone.
    Keep talking.��

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I think it is really important that depression does get talked about. It can be very debilitating, and often has no identifiable external trigger; and there's a big difference between "feeling miserable" (which happens to everyone now and then) and having this clinical condition called Depression.

Super Moderator
    Nail on head Anthony. Keep talking eveyone
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    Hello. I hope you don't mind me joining your thread Stagger, but I'm really struggling too.

Running has long been a great source of help, both the practice of running and the friends I've made through running. I love running in the hills.

But what about when running adds to my sense of failure - when I'm not fast enough to run with my friends or be part of teams, when my determination, self-discipline and training are no longer enough to get me out? What do I do then?

Give up running? Might just as well give up living. So I must keep on running then. But sometimes I just don't have the heart to run and even if I'm out in the hills I just want to stop and curl up by the path.
    Have you tried St John's Wort (Hypericum)? I use the tincture on and off, i can manage without it for sometimes years, but other times i'm miserable without it. It doesn't turn you into a jack in a box like uppers, it just takes the edge off and allows you the motivation to do things that you know you will enjoy doing. It acts fairly fast too, about 24hrs.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Banned
    Well funeral today and laid to rest.
    Started training again and hopefully I can get a little bit fitter.
    Just one more funeral on Wed.
    Onwards and upwards.

Super Moderator
    Good to hear from you Trev. Keep up the training
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Banned
    Trying to keep going.
    Weight crap
    Fitness crap
    Home life none existent
    Work crap
    Training crap
    Holiday looking forward to it. Hoping to turn the corner.

The greatest accomplishment is not never falling but rising again after you fall. I have always liked your quote.
    All my very best wishes Stagger
    Steve sbrt