Page 28 of 59 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

The best thing about this thread is the realisation that it can happen to anyone and you are not alone. I've been following it quietly for a while... The black dog has followed me around for the last 15 years. The birth of my first child three years ago brought everything to a head and as I wasn't coping (having a child made me feel very lonely, it seems odd, but I know other people who have felt the same) I was forced into getting professional help as much for the sake of my family as for me and because I was close to ending it all. It did help dramatically. It helped me understand better what was going on in my head and how to recognise even the earliest signs of a dip. I'm quite scientific and analytical and so an analytical approach to my depression helps me drag myself out of it, eventually. Although this same analysis can sometimes lead me to over analyse things in my life and causes me to become depressed. I can't win!

However, for me, the most powerful thing that has often dragged me back up was a friend telling me," instead of thinking I must or I have to or I can't do, think, I get to." So I get to go to work each day, I get to have my wife, my children, I get to walk my dog etc. It seemed a cheesy thing to say at first, but at the first sign of me slipping it has dragged me up a good number of times. I have a stressful job ( don't we all) but now rather than wake up and think I can't face going into work, I often find myself saying at least I get to go to work. You get the idea. Give it a go, but I can't recommend professional help highly enough. It's good to talk to someone who won't judge you, won't become angry with you because they are not emotionally attached to you and because they understand what is actually going on in the mind. I'm a lot lot better now. Not perfect, but I would call myself generally happy. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck.

I've recently undertaken a self-help therapy called 'The Work' as detailed in the book 'Loving What Is' by Byron Katie. I'm not out of the woods with it yet having been taken on the wildest and most frightening psychological ride of my life; and i did it all with my own mind and little outside assistance. I've uncovered things buried in my subconscious which are set to have life changing implications, the degree of internal conflict going on in my mind is terrifying. All the bad shit is fighting for its place in my head and all hell has broken loose. I'll offer up a full report when i'm finished tumbling down the rabbit hole.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Banned
    Respect Luke. Keep yourself safe mate ��

That doesn't sound good, Brightside. Take care of yourself and let us know if we can help in anyway. Always happy to listen.

PS. (and I feel I'm making myself vulnerable in admitting this, but here goes...)
    After a very long wait, I've finally got an appointment with a psychologist next week. It's just for an initial 'assessment', which to my mind makes it a test that I might well fail.

Spare a thought for me next Thursday.

Best of luck to you all. Keep going MrB, we are all wishing you well working through whatever is hurting you. Hope all goes well next Thursday Leaf, let us know how you get on.
    xx

Banned
    All the best Leaf, will spare a thought for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    That doesn't sound good, Brightside. Take care of yourself and let us know if we can help in anyway. Always happy to listen.
    Actually it's the inevitable result of the process, it's unpleasant because the conscious mind struggles with the meaning of what it has uncovered. As soon as the program is 'installed' and accepted as a working model through your first realisation that 'The Work' works; your subconscious mind, which is 20 times more powerful than your consious mind goes to work without instruction. It uncovers all the corrupted thought patterns and damage from childhood (big area of influence) and tries to unseat the lot. This occurs through you having one moment of clarity after another, over and over again. The conscious mind finds it very hard to process and analyse the results and really needs to be told, you go into a state of total internal conflict, and i'm glad i had help from a clued-up source with this.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

You're much braver than I am, Mr B. I fear I'd be fatally consumed if I were to try such a thing. I do hope it proves to be an ultimately healing and helpful process for you, though, and very much look forward to hearing how you get on. In the meantime, I wish you all the best and inner strength and outside help that you need to work through all the bad stuff. Take it just one step at a time.

Banned
    Well at 10.30 on Wed morning my Decree Nisi will be read in court.

6 week then to the absolute and another chapter in my life come's to a close.

4 grand parents, 2 parents, my only brother and a marriage. All gone.

Glass empty, hangover tomorrow ��