Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Brilliant stuff Stagger!
    To mis-quote that hairy old Chinese proverb, 'a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step'. And you have made that step. Careful now, 2.5 miles is quite a lot on deconditioned limbs. Take it slow and steady but just enjoy the freedom.

Onwards and upwards.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Well well well, I went out for a run this morning. First since 29th Aug. Only 2.5m on road very steady, but it is a start. Legs and lung's know about it.
    I need to get out of the divorce and over weight cycle.
    Hopefully getting out running again might just help.
    The first run after a long lay-off is always the most difficult; so well done, and it can only get better from here.
    Running should help with the over weight problem, although I'm not sure how it can help with the divorce; but maybe it will help you to think more clearly about that.

Well well well, I went out for a run this morning. First since 29th Aug. Only 2.5m on road very steady, but it is a start. Legs and lung's know about it.
    Me = chuffed to hear this. Made my day. Hope this is a way you find to cope Stagger. With friends around every corner you will never be short a mate to run with, a shoulder to lean on or an ear to listen to you :-)

I've read this thread totally at a loss what to say. But its good to see you move forward Stagger, if only one small step...which may turn out to be massive. I guess, like a lot of this stuff, its one step at a time...sometimes forward, occasionally back. As with a lot of people on the FRA site, I don't really know you or your situation but I do hope you're ok, and on the rise.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Banned
    Thankyou for your support forumittes.
    I feel like I've been run over by a steam roller.

Now I understand why as we get fitter we train more regularly.

Hopefully I will get out again this week.

Once again, thanks. Support is precious in the dark times.

Injury has prevented me from running for two weeks now.

So if you need motivation to kick yourself out the door and go for a run, Stagger, perhaps it would help to think you're doing a little run on my behalf?

I NEED to run.

My head needs me to run.

Super Moderator
    Have you got a bike Leaf? Or fit enough to walk? Getting out of the house is number one priority for me if I'm not well, especially in winter
    Poacher turned game-keeper

It's warming to see so much support for each other. I've been off this thread for a while - bloody black dog had a go! As someone who's been at this a while, I have to say that I find being kind & patient with myself is the best method of handling the dog. Nowadays my dog is more a stupid yappy thing rather than the rottweiler of the early days. And it's getting smaller.

This has come about by trying to move forward in life by facing forward. I have regrets but I've learned not avoid dwelling. This was shown to me by a friend who went through a divorce involving kids. His Mum was brilliant by keeping him focussed on the one to one time he could get with his kids without the emotional mess of his ex. When the property etc bit was resolved he had to go for a much smaller place to live. As he says, going through the divorce, he could not see his life ever being what it is now. If he looks backwards he'd fill up with regret but going forward : he's warm & dry, skint, free & happy. He reckons the he gets more time with the kids as his ex isn't there. Calm after the storm.

You can survive this illness. The support here is clearly endless. There will be lighter times. New Year = New horizons- keep facing forward whilst moving forward.

Lovely wise words Last Man Home, very inspiring and I'm glad it's helped you to control your demons. I'd go a little further though and add not to just look forward but also to be careful to enjoy every good moment in the present. The future we might want may never come but we can enjoy and do plenty in the present moment to make the chances of future moments being bright that bit better.

I'm lucky enough not to be on the same scale as any of you on here but I have my periods in time where I sink a little. I've found that, in those times, I must bring my focus back to the minutiae and concentrate on the simple things in front of me which give me great pleasure, rather than worrying about the future or having any regrets about the past. A simple walk along the lochside, focusing deeply on the movement of the tide, the colours of the seaweeds, the patterns of the rocks etc works wonders and, if I find my mind wondering to other thoughts, I bring it back to that focus.

That's why running is so good, especially on the fells. Our focus is on the present moment, everything is concentrated on that next footfall. There's no time for wandering thoughts. It's great that you're out and about again Stagger, persevere and you will be rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Man Home View Post
    It's warming to see so much support for each other. I've been off this thread for a while - bloody black dog had a go! As someone who's been at this a while, I have to say that I find being kind & patient with myself is the best method of handling the dog. Nowadays my dog is more a stupid yappy thing rather than the rottweiler of the early days. And it's getting smaller.

This has come about by trying to move forward in life by facing forward. I have regrets but I've learned not avoid dwelling. This was shown to me by a friend who went through a divorce involving kids. His Mum was brilliant by keeping him focussed on the one to one time he could get with his kids without the emotional mess of his ex. When the property etc bit was resolved he had to go for a much smaller place to live. As he says, going through the divorce, he could not see his life ever being what it is now. If he looks backwards he'd fill up with regret but going forward : he's warm & dry, skint, free & happy. He reckons the he gets more time with the kids as his ex isn't there. Calm after the storm.

You can survive this illness. The support here is clearly endless. There will be lighter times. New Year = New horizons- keep facing forward whilst moving forward.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Banned
    Don't know if I am ready for Christmas this time.

Still working and not a present purchased yet.

No food either.

Gunner be a busy couple of days.