Page 34 of 59 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Banned
    Hopefully we are all progressing slightly or at worst remaining static.

My psychotherapist is supportive and encourages being generous to yourself and being happy every day.

Live for tomorrow

Forget yesterday

All the best to all who are suffering.��

Good to hear your psychotherapist is supportive and encouraging, Stagger.

I've got my postponed "psych assessment - part two" tomorrow lunchtime. Not looking forward to it.

Still feel torn between not wanting to waste precious and scarce NHS resources on something I ought to be able to sort out myself (like most people do), and yet panicking that I can't deal with stuff on my own.

I have so much for which to give thanks (and I do) and yet just day to day life can be such an effort sometimes and I can't remember why it's worth it.

Banned
    Treat the NHS a little like a building society. If you pay in and save, you can draw out when needed.

Sorting yourself out Leaf is the reason you need help. Remember its an illness and depression is horrible because it messes with the mind.

All the best with your assessment and just be open and honest.

Oh, one down side is after a session you are normally upset because you've just been recounting negative issues.

Well done on getting on the road to recovery Leaf.

Thoughts are with you ��

It's heartening to know that it is "normal" to be upset after a session - thanks, Stagger. It wasn't too bad, but it was certainly difficult and upsetting / unsettling.

Doesn't help that the road ahead (assuming there is one, of course) seems so long and obstacle-strewn, but then perhaps that's where our fell-running experience can help - we're good at "long and obstacle-strewn"!

I've got to go back for a third time as apparently we still didn't get through all of the psych assessment. I don't know why it's taking so long - I was led to believe that people usually get through all of it in an hour, although some have to return to deal with a few remaining questions. I really wasn't expecting a third session. I do hope I'm not wasting their time.

Leaf, no way are you "wasting their time"
    Your assessor obviously considers that you warrant a thorough investigation.
    Having acknowledged your own personal needs and made a brave start down the road to recovery, just keep pressing on.
    Very much thinking of you and wishing you all the best,

Ian.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Banned
    How are we all doing?

I've had a Psych-K session. It does work, but it's something you have to keep topping up yourself whenever you feel like shit. It seems to work by getting the mind to attatch to belief statements that are in opposition to stressful feelings and stories you might be dealing with. I've found it compliments the work of Byron Katie quite well; because to enable yourself to create an alternate belief statement you must first discover the untrue thought, and Byron Katie's 'The Work' is one tool you can recruit to achieve this. Discovering an untrue thought amongst stories is like trying to fight your way through a thorn bush one branch at a time, and finally discovering a small ball bearing in the centre. You have to write evrything down, any and all bad thoughts that you are dealing with, then categorise them into stories and thoughts. Discard the stories, as these are a product of thoughts, and distill the thoughts down as far as you can, then create an alternate belief statement. You know when you've got a good one to work with because, just like Byron Katie said, true thoughts and statements illicit a positive emotional response however subtle.

Feelings of utter dispair, resentment, the loss of any real will to live and an irrational need to exact emotional revenge on people you are dearly fond of have boiled down to 4 basic belief statements during Psych-K sessions and during my own work:

I am not a worthless person
    I am in control of my own thoughts
    I am ok with women leaving my life because i know i'm still loved by them
    I am ok with what has happened to my hip beacuse i know it was an accident

The more i believe those 4 statements the more stable a person i'll be. EFT tapping and box breathing are 2 other coping techniques i can use for short term relaxation, it gives me a chance of becoming relaxed enough to work the belief statements.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Banned
    Another sleepless night.
    Just 12 months since splitting up.
    Still tangled by solicitors trying to sort it all out.
    I feel I just want to move on now with a fair settlement but what is fair to one is not to another.
    The depression play's with the mind and brain along with subduing motivation.
    I must get back to jogging and life ASAP

Getting good support from loved ones is helping and hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is moving closer.

Stagger - and continuing support from your fell running colleagues, that of course goes out to everyone above that have opened up on here.
    A circular route mostly downhill