Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Banned
    You are right Chris, and thankyou for pointing it out.
    One of my failings is not always recognising the ones who are helping or listening.

Sometimes on here I get a little twitchy as I think people knew what was about to happen before it did.

The long distance runner spends a lot of time away from home. The worker spends an equal amount away from home but is bringing the wage home.

Only when it goes pear shaped does it bring up doubts and uncertain thoughts and I have lingered on some of these. Been apart for 51 weeks, divorce is going through and the consent order is due for submission.

Hopefully, conclusion to 28 years will arrive soon and my mind and brain will allow me to move forward in this life again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    ...Sometimes on here I get a little twitchy as I think people knew what was about to happen before it did...
    I certainly did not know how many ties you had, and how many times you would change them.
    Keep wearing 'em Trev lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    One of my failings is not always recognising the ones who are helping or listening.

Sometimes on here I get a little twitchy as I think people knew what was about to happen before it did.

The long distance runner spends a lot of time away from home. The worker spends an equal amount away from home but is bringing the wage home.
    Never a failure, good friends, colleagues, good listeners just are there and don't need to be recognised - that's why they are good........and then there is the wide family of fell runners - and what a mixed up bunch of like minded folk are we!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Hello
    Feeling rubbish at the moment.
    Just thought I'd say.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    Hello
    Just thought I'd say.
    But I see from another thread that you are doing Black Combe tomorrow. That should make you feel better (unless you get lost in the clag)?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    Hello
    Just thought I'd say.
    Can always PM me as I'm a good listener.

Hopefully you enjoyed Blackcombe and showed true character, determination and effort on the final climb.

Awaiting your report on your outing Leaf.

All the best��

Underlying Beliefs; i've been doing a lot of Work on underlying beliefs recently. It seems like it's a matter of distillation, it's the case that untrue thoughts are underpinned by untrue underlying beliefs. I don't know why it is that your mind can attach so strongly to such hurtful and obviously untrue underlying beliefs. The belief that my life is over and i should simply wait to die always was and still is so cosy and comforting to attach to. To try to attach to the thought that my life is like a pack of fireworks that's waited 20yrs for a match seems simple enough, but the result is utter mental chaos, and something now very familiar to me- Mental Combat Fatigue. It seems that trying to unseat untrue underlying beliefs is like pulling the rug out from underneath everything that you've used as security up until that point. Your subconscious self uses these thoughts as anchor points for your entire personality and leans heavily on them; to remove or threaten them is a bit like sailing a Galleon out into the Roaring Forties and cutting every single rope. Your personality seems to go into freefall as your subconscious mind looks for something else to attatch to and resecure itself, the result is total panic. Time and again your mind will creep back to the security of these old habits and time and again you have to send them packing; and it deosn't hurt any less every time it has to be done. Realistically it's no different to breaking bad habits in a dog or a small child, it's just that this problem inhabits an area of your mind 20 times more powerful than the one you yourself inhabit, and it takes full advantage of this as it hits back at you with the force of a thousand Samaurai warriors.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

There is an interesting piece in the latest Athletics Weekly about athletes and the challenges of mental ill health including the idea of sport as a catalyst for depression. Regards, Chris

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Underlying Beliefs; i've been doing a lot of Work on underlying beliefs recently. It seems like it's a matter of distillation, it's the case that untrue thoughts are underpinned by untrue underlying beliefs. I don't know why it is that your mind can attach so strongly to such hurtful and obviously untrue underlying beliefs. The belief that my life is over and i should simply wait to die always was and still is so cosy and comforting to attach to. To try to attach to the thought that my life is like a pack of fireworks that's waited 20yrs for a match seems simple enough, but the result is utter mental chaos, and something now very familiar to me- Mental Combat Fatigue. It seems that trying to unseat untrue underlying beliefs is like pulling the rug out from underneath everything that you've used as security up until that point. Your subconscious self uses these thoughts as anchor points for your entire personality and leans heavily on them; to remove or threaten them is a bit like sailing a Galleon out into the Roaring Forties and cutting every single rope. Your personality seems to go into freefall as your subconscious mind looks for something else to attatch to and resecure itself, the result is total panic. Time and again your mind will creep back to the security of these old habits and time and again you have to send them packing; and it deosn't hurt any less every time it has to be done. Realistically it's no different to breaking bad habits in a dog or a small child, it's just that this problem inhabits an area of your mind 20 times more powerful than the one you yourself inhabit, and it takes full advantage of this as it hits back at you with the force of a thousand Samaurai warriors.
    I am not sure whether to be pleased for you because you are making such good progress in understanding your psychological difficulties, or to commiserate with you because the difficulties seem so intractable.

Banned
    At rock bottom.
    50% work 50% divorce
    Sinking at the minute.