Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    A bit like Stagger on 14th July minus the bit about solicitors.

Really appreciate you asking, though, DT. Thanks.

Tell me, though, someone - does anyone actually Enjoy life? Or does everyone find it hard going and wish there was an easy exit door?
    On reflection my other post might not help you a great deal. What's true for me is not necessarily true for you.

I actually don't enjoy my life. I've genuinely forgotten what it means and feels like to experience long-term enjoyment. I have fleeting moments when something happens, and some moments when nothing happens, moments when i'm sat on a bench or a rock in the middle of nowhere and i just see a mouse or something.

Why i'm still alive i don't know, but what i do know is that i am still alive for a reason. It has to be this way because the universe is based on the principle of economy. The only easy exit door is suicide; i've got no dependants and little reason to keep turning away from it, except for the fact i know the compulsions i feel are an illusion.

I just keep going, Leaf. I try to understand that i'm in this position for a reason, a reason which as yet is unclear. I use all the tools i've got (box breathing, The Work, EFT, Psych-K, mindfulness) to release self-defeating behaviour from my mind, and await moments of clarity.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    Tell me, though, someone - does anyone actually Enjoy life? Or does everyone find it hard going and wish there was an easy exit door?
    I've been trying to think of something helpful to say about this; whole books have been written to address these questions!

The short answer is that no-one enjoys life all the time; we all have ups and downs. But it is very important to avoid comparing oneself to other people [Jim seems much happier than me, Susan is much more successful than me, etc]; or if you must make comparisons, than compare yourself to the citizens of Syria or North Korea.

The ideal was set down in a letter written by a bloke in a prison cell nearly 2000 years ago:
    "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation . . ." *
    Easier said than done! Contentment comes from inside, which brings us back to: how to cope with Depression. Mr B's earlier post (on 30/07) contains a lot of good advice, but what concerns me is that his project is dealing with depression by oneself. This seems to me like trying to pull yourself out of a Pennine peat bog by yourself when you are up to your thighs in the sticky black stuff. You need help! This can be from friends, but you probably also need professional help. Like Mr B, my instinct is to avoid the use of drugs; the counter-argument is that if the depression is due to a chemical imbalance in the brain, a chemical problem demands a chemical solution. [The difficulty with this is that our chemical solutions are too crude, and have unwanted side-effects.]

Anyway, I hope that all of you suffering from depression do find some long-term relief. It really is a horrible illness.

* Philippians 4:12

Banned
    Well, I feel I have just exorcised a demon.

Having travelled to the top of a 2k mountain about 7yr ago, I had been scared �� to death. Vowing never to return.��

I did return to day and with a great calming influence by my side, achieved it without any problems.

She really helped me and taught me to face fear head on to achieve a positive outcome.

Big lesson learned and the views were stunning.

Hope you all can take the small positives out of something so trivial ��

Nice one Trevor - I'm so pleased to hear something positive from you. Keep it up, and hope to see you soon.

Banned
    Cheers Geoff. It's feels better to be thinking more positive.

Small steps, for bigger results.

Should be back down your way in 2018 when I get started running again.

That is not trivial Stagger! That is a huge achievement with how you have been feeling these past few months. Good to hear. Stepping forwards :-)

Banned
    Better thoughts are starting to appear im my head.

I just need to work with them.

The holiday helps to empty the stress and worry.

Hopefully it will continue when real life and work resumes.

Thanks for all your support and keep posting if you are suffering.

The communication between us all helps us all��

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    ...but what concerns me is that his project is dealing with depression by oneself. This seems to me like trying to pull yourself out of a Pennine peat bog by yourself when you are up to your thighs in the sticky black stuff. You need help! This can be from friends, but you probably also need professional help.
    The snag with this approach is that it places the source of your healing outside of yourself. One of the goal statements i balance for regularly is, "i have the power to create my own reality", and i do create it- every waking moment. Depression for me is now more of an illusion than an illness.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The snag with this approach is that it places the source of your healing outside of yourself. One of the goal statements i balance for regularly is, "i have the power to create my own reality", and i do create it- every waking moment. Depression for me is now more of an illusion than an illness.
    This is great if you do actually "have the power to create your own reality". But as you yourself said in an earlier post, "What's true for me is not necessarily true for you." For some people, having a source of healing outside of themselves may be just what they need.

Banned
    Interesting points.
    I find I don't have any power or will to succeed at anything.

Can't stop drinking, can't lose weight, can't get fit.

Just survive by what meal is next.

I try battling problem's one at a time or I bury my head till it goes away.

Similar feelings as to why I am here go around my head.

My physiotherapist is very supportive and we work on each problem until a solution is achieved.

That and the max dosage of mediation keeps me going.

Hopefully you are all progressing or getting the right help to do so.

All the best ��

Stagger