Thread: What do I put back?

What do I put back?

Whilst completing a double this weekend (bike Coniston to Duddon, Duddon, bike back to Consiton, Old Man of COniston tri the next day) I wondered post races, what do I put back?
    I love my sports and live for today and try to respect all. Compete loads, although not a top x person, but have a good crack ,enjoy the racing, the competitiveness, the friendlyness of fellow competitors, and just love life.....but I thought do I put back enough?
    Hmmmmmmmm........
    So years ago when most retired we probably had many who were happy to volunteer, nowadays we all want to compete compete compete no matter what age.
    Do race organisers find it difficult to cajoule help?
    Should we balance helping with competing?
    For my part, I do help at races (will be at the Hebden this week), and organise Crow Hill fell race (notice I didn't say help as it's all my wonderful volunteers who do all the hard work). But I wondered should I do more, it's easier taking out isn't it? I think I should do more, maybe more volunteering even at non-local races, even before the (poor) organiser has to beg for help, maybe donate the odd prize (bottle of warm and flat!), maybe anything else?
    Comments and opinions welcome as evert please........
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Re: What do I put back?

[TBH I think one of the biggest things you can put back is to turn up and actually race. It's the one thing which is over looked by many, but a sport isnt a sport without participants, the governing bodies, clubs, organisations, do their bit, but they can come and go, but the participants make the sport.

There must be few more dissapointing things for an RO to have than standing at the start line with 17 people stood there.

I try to marshall at the odd race, but TBH if I'm in the UK I'd want to be out in the hills. We also organise, very cheap nav courses for runners (Thug that's not a plug), £15 for a day out in the hills I think it is. Now organise one race. Organise free weekly evening fell runs, not through the club, for local runners.

But still I think doing the races is probably the most important thing, and the thing I do least of at the moment..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    [TBH I think one of the biggest things you can put back is to turn up and actually race. It's the one thing which is over looked by many, but a sport isnt a sport without participants, the governing bodies, clubs, organisations, do their bit, but they can come and go, but the participants make the sport.
    I agree Iain...... with one addition.

I think that it's the friendship and openness (competitors and organisers alike) that characterises the sport that's just as important. If we had big fields for every race, but every competitor was just there for themselves, we'd have a very different experience of the sport.

The fact is that there's always the supportive word, the offer of advice on route, gear or pacing, the jokes, and the general good natured and inclusive banter. I've never run in a championship race so I don't know whether the pressure of points leads to a different atmosphere - but I'd never hesitate to encourage anybody who's interested to turn up and have a go at any other race that's a sensible proposition for them.

So turn up for sure - as Iain says the sport will die if we don't - but come with your sociable, as well as your competitive, head on.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Good points.

Re Championship races I don't think anything changes, well not at my point in the field, which is normally just inside the points.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    [
    There must be few more dissapointing things for an RO to have than standing at the start line with 17 people stood there.
    If you've invested a lot of money and effort and a field of only 17 turns up I can understand the disappointment but if it's a low key, low maintenance event I don't think that numbers are a big deal. I organised a race with only 13 runners and one official a couple of years ago and a good time was had by all!

Regarding volunteers for marshalling etc, I usually manage to rustle up enough help and am extremely grateful to them all especially those who stand out in all weather in exposed positions. Having said that it's always nice if someone turns up on the day and offers to help! It can save the day!!!!