Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's here!!

Re: It's here!!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Alan T

WHatever you've bought. You didn't get a Scott Addict Ltd for £3500. Any LBS selling it to you for that price wouldn't be a Scott dealer for long.
    Well it's certainly a Scott Addict, set up with a campag record ultratorque groupset, ritchley carbon seat post Selle Italia SLR Saddle, Mavic Kysirium Wheels, Michelin Pro Race Ltd edition tyres, was built up to my spec and it definitely weighs in at around 6KG. As for it being a crazily low price, well the shop in question is noted for selling stuff at really low prices, and even giving stuff away!!
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Allan, wots your opinion of the Trek 5000 2006. Mrs C has almost been won round to releasing the funds. I really like the looks of it but is it the best I can get for the money. Its normal retail price was £1600 ish but you can pick em up for a grand now if you get the 2006

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Allan, wots your opinion of the Trek 5000 2006. Mrs C has almost been won round to releasing the funds. I really like the looks of it but is it the best I can get for the money. Its normal retail price was £1600 ish but you can pick em up for a grand now if you get the 2006
    Never ridden one, though a lot of people I know say they have them, they seem quite popular. Definitely if you're looking to get value for money, but not quite the best up to date kit then getting last years model is the way to save money.

Consider the 2nd hand market too, as you can pick up some major bargains - some hardly used and extremely well looked after - for not very much money - for example a bike which costs a grand is likely to be sold on for around £800 - £500 quid.

One problem with 2nd hand is you need to know who you're buying off, and what you want, and what you're getting. Do your research on the net to see how much it normally goes for. You can often bargain down on the price, and even get extra's thrown in. With a new chain, cassette, possibly you may also look at replacing chainrings, cables, bartape and saddle, then a well looked after bike will ride as if it is new. The most important thing is the frames, after that the wheels, etc. This goes for new bikes as well btw.

A £1600 bike reduced to a Grand is good value for money, and any bike retailing around the £1000 mark is more than adaquate for the needs of most cyclists (indeed I own a bike which cost me £1200 new, specced for me - including the campag, and I rode that for over two years, and still do when I don't want to use the dream machine)

One comment I have heard is that Trek, like Specialized is over marketed. Perhaps others would care to comment?
    Last edited by AllanT; 20-05-2007 at 09:40 PM.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Alan T

You certainly got one hell of a price.

What's the name of your LBS? Do they have a website?

IAn L

Master and MR

clodhopper get a bianchi mate , trek are crap

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Alan T

You certainly got one hell of a price.

What's the name of your LBS? Do they have a website?

IAn L
    I do get a lot of stuff from them, so not sure if that was just a special price for me, but they are really good value for money.

My LBS is called Bikestyle - I know there is a chain of shops called BikeStyle, but I don't think they're connected, I get the impression that the business belongs to the guy who manages it. I don't think they have a website, their web address is given as this ( http://www.bikestyle-iom.com
    ) , but it doesn't go through to them direct.

Address is here:- Bike Style Ltd42 Bucks Road, DouglasIMI 3AD01624 673576
    They're a great bunch of lads, and they really are into what they do in a big way. They aim to compete with the net, and I've found they won't just sell you something if they don't feel you would need it - they'd advise you that it wouldn't be much use (eg I looked at a Campag 13 - 26 ti cassette, they ordered it, and then when I found out about the price (over £200), they suggested that it probably wouldn't be necessary (indeed the owner of the shop said "I personally wouldn't pay that much for one", I decided I didn't need it as the 11-23 would probably be ok for the IOM (have found it is), and they sent it back without any objection at all.

They give really good customer service, and I will always give them my business in preference to any other shop.

They can always put you onto a good bargain as well.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Looked at the bianchis but not over impressed looks wise. The Trek has the edge for me there. Cheers for the advice Allan

Looked at the bianchis but not over impressed looks wise. The Trek has the edge for me there. Cheers for the advice Allan
    Though it's nice when a bike looks good, it's better if it fits you and rides well. I'd go for better spec, lighter, possibly cheaper over looks in a bike anyway - however in my experience most bikes do look nice, and often it's how it looks is the final clincher. Plus it's nice when the girls all turn heads to look at your bike (and possibly the rider??), and other cyclists remark that it's a nice bike.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Though it's nice when a bike looks good, it's better if it fits you and rides well. I'd go for better spec, lighter, possibly cheaper over looks in a bike anyway - however in my experience most bikes do look nice, and often it's how it looks is the final clincher. Plus it's nice when the girls all turn heads to look at your bike (and possibly the rider??), and other cyclists remark that it's a nice bike.
    It's the yucky pale green on the bianchi's. Do you like 'em Allan

Master and MR

wot
    all trek riders think there lance armstrong

buy a bianchi and you are buying history clodhopper, from faustio coppi all the way up to mario chippolini
    looks , pah italian bikes always look better