Page 101 of 115 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1146

Thread: The Ben Nevis Race

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
    Relax!
    pfff...
    Poke a welder with a stick and don't be alarmed by the response.

I was merely passing an off the cuff comment which I still believe to be true. The forum contains less in regards to running or helping runners and more about controversy on various issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Poke a welder with a stick and don't be alarmed by the response.

I was merely passing an off the cuff comment which I still believe to be true. The forum contains less in regards to running or helping runners and more about controversy on various issues.
    Ok got it.
    I'm off out running.

Great to read all the write-ups about this race(amazing what a bit of prompting will do) Definatley on my bucket-list, just the 8hr drive puts me off, but no excuse really, should get my arse up there next year.

Didn't do the race this year after I was mentally scarred from my first attempt last year. I enjoyed the weekend that much last time that I still went up this year to support a group of mates from Clayton and Barlick and to partake in the rehydrating around Fort William after the race.

Still had a run/walk up to watch the race and after reaching the summit and on our way back down, Rob Jebb came up past us closely followed by MB. Both were running whereas Finlay Wild was hands on knees. We then waited at the top of the grass bank where I videoed Jebb and MB come past first and then Finlay Wild must've been at least a minute and a half - 2 minutes behind them at the top of the grass bank. Even caught a local on the video saying Wild was out of it. Haha.

I was told after that Wild overtook them both before the road section, which if true makes it even more remarkable. To say I never did the race, the jog up and down has still left my legs in a state.

just watched it again. Jebb was around 1.45 clear of Wild at the top of the grass bank.
    Last edited by Rozzer; 09-09-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozzer View Post
    Didn't do the race this year after I was mentally scarred from my first attempt last year. I enjoyed the weekend that much last time that I still went up this year to support a group of mates from Clayton and Barlick and to partake in the rehydrating around Fort William after the race.

Still had a run/walk up to watch the race and after reaching the summit and on our way back down, Rob Jebb came up past us closely followed by MB. Both were running whereas Finlay Wild was hands on knees. We then waited at the top of the grass bank where I videoed Jebb and MB come past first and then Finlay Wild must've been at least a minute and a half - 2 minutes behind them at the top of the grass bank. Even caught a local on the video saying Wild was out of it. Haha.

I was told after that Wild overtook them both before the road section, which if true makes it even more remarkable. To say I never did the race, the jog up and down has still left my legs in a state.

just watched it again. Jebb was around 1.45 clear of Wild at the top of the grass bank.
    Great to get the perspective on the battle at the front, would be interested to see whether the BBC will show anything of how the race unfolded or whether they will just focus on the celeb. Apparently Jebb was 4 mins clear at the top, so Wild was making up ground quickly! My old man was watching from the bottom of the grassy bank and said he couldn't believe how much quicker Wild's cadence was compared to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzy View Post
    Can anyone shed any light on the deccent route via the tarn, ie cutting off on the red burn path instead of going down the grass bank.
    Manny Gorman was approx 10- 20 yards in front of me when he took this route down and finished 30 odd secs in front of me not much I know but. you come out just before claggen park missing out the horrid bit of road been told its rough n boggy that's all I know?
    Intriguing. Hadn't heard what the alternate route was going to be, will be interesting to see how it effects the race given that, the grassy bank seems to be what makes or breaks the race, for me at least. Sounds like the new route will have its own challenges though.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamPilling View Post
    It's reassuring to hear of other people taking a tumble, so I know it wasn't just me! I managed to succumb to shoe problems and fatigue and plant myself in the dirt path right in front of a photographer with only about 1.5 miles left.

Thanks for the concern of the runner behind as well as nearby spectators who all checked I was okay. I had to have a brief sit down while I mentally rebooted. Ta to the chap who gave me a sip of his lemon drink before I limped away...

I should have been quicker but as I first timer I was just happy to tick it off and not damage myself too badly. Never seen so many bandaged runners at the end of a race - I hope everyone heals up well. What a fantastic bastard of a race! I'll be back.
    Did you fall just before the bridge and rip the hazard tape down? If so I was the runner behind you asking if you were ok.

If it was you, you were flying when you went down and it looked painful!

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy42 View Post
    Great to read all the write-ups about this race(amazing what a bit of prompting will do) Definatley on my bucket-list, just the 8hr drive puts me off, but no excuse really, should get my arse up there next year.
    Forget the eight hours. It's worth it and its not just a bout the race. I love the presentation and the after presentation pub crawls. I guess the latter explains why I came 21st from last.

Seriously, get yourself entered next year. You will love it.

felly.
    Last edited by fellephant; 10-09-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scodler View Post
    Did you fall just before the bridge and rip the hazard tape down? If so I was the runner behind you asking if you were ok.

If it was you, you were flying when you went down and it looked painful!
    No, pretty sure that won't have been me, as I fell on the bloody flat path!

£23 to enter winner gets £50 tenth gets £20 sum thing wrong there.
    t shirt certificate & medal same as last year except date of course!
    ben nevis committee need to get there act together, beside that its still a great race & weekend
    WOODZY.