Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kinder Killer

Kinder Killer

The route as promised (finally) It’s a great long day out, 8-10 hours at a BG pace. A much easier route than the Dozen.

Kinder Killer by K Jones

33miles 9000ft

From the Nags Head in Edale head up Grindsbrook Clough to 107 872 below foxhouses and follow the right branch of the stream until a scramble gets you to the top. If very wet escape right near top.
    Turn right and follow path to Ringing Roger 127 875, you may wish to take in optional Blackden trig 129 878 at this point but the route heads to the Druid Stone 135 875. It then crosses the main path and plunges straight down on faint trods to the YH hidden in the valley at 140 866.

Take the path that crosses the stream to the left contouring around the hillside to the ford in Jaggers Clough 154 873, Climb the clough with some fun scrambles to the top taking on water or if a hot day sit in a plunge pool until you reach the main path and then follow this round right until you come to the square block of the Coffin Stone at 143 880 and take the path down to Crookstone Gate/Roman road 159 879. Turn left and follow the roman road cross Blackley Clough to Upper Ashop Farm 143 891, go up left above the farm to gate after 150 m with a land rover track, don’t take the track but follow trod on the left of the wall. This contours round the hill crossing two streams until you arrive at Blackden Barn 131 893. From here the route turns left and climbs the beautiful Blackden Clough taking care high up where the path is eroded above a steep section. Enjoy the scramble higher up, then turn right and follow it past Seal Stones to116 888. When Gate Side Clough comes into view drop down this until you can take the path round to the base of Fairbrook at the sheep fold 114 900.

The next objective is Fairbrook Naze, so you have a choice of route, Either take the ridge on the north side of the river and follow the trods direct or take the path by the stream up to the top and turn right along the path to the Naze 097 898.

Continue along the top on the quiet northern edge of Kinder and admire the view down to Ashop Clough. Keep going until you can drop down to the finger post at Ashop Head 063 902. From here drop straight down William Clough to the bridge in front of Kinder reservoir 059 888. Cross this and take the minor paths around the hillside, drop down to the River Kinder and follow this tranquil valley up to the Downfall 083 889.

Shortly before reaching the Downfall climb steeply up to the right and traverse under the crags until you can rejoin the edge once again. Head south passing Kinderlow Trig 079 871. Do not follow the path to Edale Rocks but at 078 868 head west to a short paved section which leads to Kinderlow ridge and the Cavern to reach gate/stile at 067 866.

Turn left and head south to stile at Stoney Ford, turn left again along the track to Edale Cross, descend Jacobs ladder until you get to Youngate Bridge 088 861

Take a quick drink and cross the stream and head up left of the fence direct to the strange Woolpacks, continue on to Crowden Tower 094 871 and descend Crowdon Clough until path junction at 102 863, take the left turn until Broadlee access point at 019 856. now your on the last climb an it’s a cracker, take the path straight up the hill and on to the final summit Grindslow Knoll 110 868. With weary legs head to the Nags head and refreshments.

Re: Kinder Killer

Hey Ian, that brought a tear to my eye sat here in the Chilterns. That last climb is right behind our old house in Upper Booth and one I only twice managed to run all the way up without walking to the top of Grindslow Knoll. Wouldn't like to go up it after all the other climbs on the route!!

Fancy doing this in the spring.

what a coincidence, I very nearly posted the exact same thing last night!

there's a bigger thread here:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...-kinder-killer

I crawled round this in about 10 hours back in 2010 when I was a lot less fit, and it suddenly occurred to me that I could probably make a much better job of it if I had another go now...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Thanks daz if you fancy meeting for a bash. Have you a gpx of it

I mapped it a while back and don't think this is too far out:

https://www.runningahead.com/maps/c2...fb29f3?unit=mi

there is a "GPX" button which hopefully will work...?

I'm thinking of going before end of March, and most likely I'll take a day off work in the week when the weather forecast is good, so could be short notice...
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 21-02-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    I mapped it a while back and don't think this is too far out:

https://www.runningahead.com/maps/c2...fb29f3?unit=mi

there is a "GPX" button which hopefully will work...?

I'm thinking of going before end of March, and most likely I'll take a day off work in the week when the weather forecast is good, so could be short notice...
    I'd be up for a plod round in March, could do with a long day out.

Was talking about this today, looks like a great day out! Did have a dozen today, going to attempt the dozen soon.
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

I am self employed so can pretty much take time off when required.

One question. The GPX route shows 27 miles and the explanatory notes say 33 miles.....