Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Madness

BG Madness

So i'm training for a BG attempt at the end of July and its taking over my life, the closer I get the more time it commands. Its getting so that every thing I do is about my BG attempt.

Every weekend I’m either in the Lakes training for or supporting an attempt. Week day evenings I either go for a run and do some speed work or train in the house on the wobble board, step, weights etc.

If I’m not training you can find me on the internet looking at maps or sorting training schedules and support. Although a club mate has actually organised most of the support runners for the day. (Cheers Nick)

Thursday the kit sorting starts and Friday its food and drink to organise and making sure my partner (BG widow) is organised for any road support.

It feels like I only earn money to pay for the cost of YHA’s, phisio’s, podiatrists and trainers.

I sink in to unconsciousness every night worn out from the training and awake every morning with summit names running through my head.

This has been going on for months - and to be honest I love every minute of it, I think I am finally getting the work/life balance right.

BG mania is driving me round the bend and I like it - is this normal? Do others become completely obsessed with the whole thing?

Re: BG Madness

Welcome to the world of BG aspiration

perfectly normal,
    sounds like a fairly mild case to be honest

the end of my BG journey approaches on Sat. (see you there Dave!), and although, at times, it has been hard work, I'll always look back on these last few months as a real highlight. As i lay in bed last night, i had this thought - if i can do 42 at 42 this year, what about 43 at 43 next year? 44 at 44 the year after? etc, etc. - how long could i keep the streak going?I mentioned it to the missus (she's been saying recently that there's 3 people in our marriage - her, myself and Bob Graham) and she gave me that look as if to say "don't you f-ing dare!!"

After the Fellsman this year I decided I'd definitely give the BG a go next year, so I've got all this to look forward to!
    Geoff Clarke

As with any big run the training is where the result is decided, i have trained around various injuries and my feet look like they have been jumped all over but for normal, not particularly talented folk, commiting fully to the challenge is the only way to achieve the desired result. It really has to be all or nothing.

There have been a couple of occasions that i've come away from a weekends training thinking i'm just not good enough, but i've never been this fit before and i've certainly never been this commited.

Bonuses - the fell running community.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSwift View Post
    As with any big run the training is where the result is decided, i have trained around various injuries and my feet look like they have been jumped all over but for normal, not particularly talented folk, commiting fully to the challenge is the only way to achieve the desired result. It really has to be all or nothing.

There have been a couple of occasions that i've come away from a weekends training thinking i'm just not good enough, but i've never been this fit before and i've certainly never been this commited.

Pretty much sums it up

Its not over yet as that plan you've got for the day will go pear shaped and at some point you'll think I'm not good enough (Yewbarrow) but you'll come out of the otherside much stronger than you ever thought you were.

Good luck
    Bill

EM - see you at the start Friday evening, looking forward to a nice day on the fells.

Good luck with your BG Dave. For someone who doesn't like heights it didn't show when it started raining scree on LR, nor on the scary bit up the west wall traverse. Wish I had the endurance and commitment of you nutters!
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSwift View Post

Best of luck Dave, av a good day out ;-)
    Hills and Guinness!