Thread: Disc Image File help please!

Disc Image File help please!

I have bought new computers and software for our charity...

I tried saving us some money by buying MS Office professional 2010 as a charity and a bought the downloads, saving £30 a licence...

However, the download appears to be something called a Disc Image File and it wants to be brunt to a CD... It is too large for a CD and there must be a way of accessing and installing the programme directly from the DIM file on my hard drive?

Any suggestions? I have found some programmes that would do it, but they al cost money, foregoing the fact that I tried saving us money by buying a download in the first place

Help...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Re: Disc Image File help pleas

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    I have bought new computers and software for our charity...

I tried saving us some money by buying MS Office professional 2010 as a charity and a bought the downloads, saving £30 a licence...

However, the download appears to be something called a Disc Image File and it wants to be brunt to a CD... It is too large for a CD and there must be a way of accessing and installing the programme directly from the DIM file on my hard drive?

Any suggestions? I have found some programmes that would do it, but they al cost money, foregoing the fact that I tried saving us money by buying a download in the first place

Help...
    Something as large as that will have to be burnt to a DVD Hanneke. If you have Windows 7 then you can use the burner utility on that. Put a blank DVD disk in your drive (providing you have a DVD writer drive?). Right click on the image file and OPEN WITH Disc Image Burner.

A disk image file will have a .iso extension. A DVD iso file is different to a CD .iso file so you cannot just burn a cd .iso to a dvd. If it too big for a Cd it may be a DVD or it may require a 700 mb cd as opposed to the 650. If it is more than this it will be a DVD iso image.

ISO images can be exploded to get at the underlining files, I have done it on Linux many times and it is very easy, not done it on Windoze but it is probably easy as well.

Well, it was bigger than 700 mb...

But I have found out how to 'unwrap' it without burning it, with a special programme I downloaded... It all seems to be working now, phew!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi