Page 91 of 93 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 LastLast

Thread: Three Peaks Cyclocross

woodzy, have you registered on the 3P's Cx website's own forum?
    There's lots of discussion on there.
    Personal observations from a recreational cyclo-cross rider ( 9+ years ) who does not race:- As a newbie, under geared is better than over geared when it comes to precision bike handling over & around obstacles. Experience and increased bike fitness will allow you to up the gearing in time - I'm now using middle ring / middle sprocket in situations where I used to be on grannie ring / big sprocket.
    My second hand bike came with an 11-28 (7 spd) cassette and 46/36, which was overgeared for me. I swapped to a MTB 44/32/22 chainset which has really suited me.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Cheers for the info il have a look into the 3p's cx forum didn't know it existed
    WOODZY.

For what it's worth....

I've run the traditional 46-36 on the front for 3 races, changed last year to a 48-34. My personal preference would be for the latter, or a 50-34 as it'll benefit a bit on the road sections, especially if you can get working with a decent group.

I've always run up to 27 or 28 on the back and that's been fine. I might go for a 30 or 32 next year just to make things feel a bit easier going up PyG lane, but to be honest if you can manage the pain of pushing a slightly bigger gear up there, you move along quite well. I doubt i'll be spinning in 32, it'll probably just feel like the same grind as a 28 so maybe I should just grit it out.

To be honest your legs are bu**ered whatever you run once you get to PyG lane - although I did see Jebbie for the first time ever this year as I ascended the lane. Have seen 2nd place onwards every year, but never the big dog.

I run Schwalbe Landcruisers at about 65 psi front & back, and then pray none of my teeth fall out )

Not sure if the new 3PCX forum has got quite the same input as the old one, used to be loads of techy nerdery going on, all completely above my head of course!

Cheers Chevinbytorchlight that helps a lot that was pretty much what I was thinking with the road section and the PYG accent so thanks that's reassured me.
    what about spare wheels on course is I worth the expense n hassel or is it best to just carry tubes n tyres rnd?
    Thanks again.
    WOODZY.

I've had someone on the course each year with spare wheels, but (touch wood!) have never yet needed them! I'm not sure I even agree with the principle of spare wheels and bikes being allowed, I've just gone along with it because others do.

If expense is a consideration (and it is for me!), i'd buy the cheap as chips Landcruiser tyres which are virtually bombproof, and pack a couple of tubes. Don't worry about spare wheels etc round the course, unless someone really fancies driving round after you to take in the atmosphere.

It's that time of year again - who's going?

I'm on car parking duties from 7:00 am then supporting my lad!

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    I'm on car parking duties from 7:00 am then supporting my lad!
    Good luck with that task!! #thickskin #steeltoecaps :-)

I reckon riding would be easier than either of those 2 jobs...

Quote Originally Posted by ChevinbyTorchlight View Post
    It's that time of year again - who's going?
    I'm in, looking forward to it but quite nervous as its my first outing. As far as I can tell there is only one water station before the ascent of Whernside, is that right?

Some funny comments on singletrack re: fellrunners not having any truck with group work on the road sections.....