Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 428290919293 LastLast

Thread: Three Peaks Cyclocross

To be honest I've never paid attention to the water stations, I've no idea where they are but presume maybe Cold Cotes? And then Ribblehead?

I've done it 4 times now and 2 years I've found great groups on the road, and 2 years I've been stuck with folk who wouldn't pull their turn. Last year I worked to Whernside with a top Wharfedale fell runner, and then down to Horton with a current World Masters mountain champion, so my own general experience is that fell runners seem honest enough to do their turn, and also appreciate that they need the group help to hold their own on the road sections.

It's the ones in cycling club kit you've got to watch out for as they try and sneak a rest before they take a kicking up on the fells )

Absolutely top day out so make the most of your first time - the usual saying is that the first time is a recce and then you can race it in the years after. I often find with these things as with tough fell races though, if you don't get caught up with personal expectations, you often perform better than you thought possible. My first year is still my 2nd best time.

Word of warning that the most dangerous part of the race is the first few miles to Horton, hundreds of people riding like complete fools in a tight bunch, it's horrible for a while.

Oh - and get to the start line early unless you want to start at the very back!!

Good luck )

Thanks! Sounds like good advice. Good luck to you as well

I'll be there propping up the bottom half again, VeloCake colours. I've never managed to get much of a boost from being in a group - they're usually going past me and I don't have the oomph to get on the back! I've blogged this morning actually about the build up: http://furiouscycling.blogspot.co.uk.../on-hooks.html
    Have a good one everyone.

What a great day out, parking supervisor in the morning and supporting the lad by bike during the race.

Superb conditions for the spectators

Yes, I was out spectating and supporting a couple of Bowland guys ( in their respective cycling club colours ) - above Bruntscar and up Horton Scar Lane. The best conditions I've known in around 15 years of getting to this event. Nice to see that Helm Hill now have cycling shirts in addition to running singlets.
    Paul Oldham's performance was a turn up for the books; I guess that nothing is "static" in life - the status quo is there to be challenged & overturned.

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    What a great day out, parking supervisor in the morning and supporting the lad by bike during the race.

Last edited by wheezing donkey; 28-09-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post

Aye, was an amazing day. People faceplanting all around me coming off Ingleborough in the bogs, had a chuckle to myself (after seeing they were OK of course) then managed my own spectacular faceplant, karma. One puncture coming off Pen-y-ghent doing bunny hops over drainage channels - not a good idea. Loved it.

Got a bit of a tan on the lower slopes of Whernside taking pics!

Name the athlete...................

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Got a bit of a tan on the lower slopes of Whernside taking pics!

Name the athlete...................

Rob Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    Rob Hope
    Good spot!!

Spotted him on Penygent