Thread: Exterminator

Exterminator

I am hoping to do Exterminator as my first AL. I am relatively new to fell running, don't know the area and could do with safe navigation practice.

Is anyone aware of any recces of the route that may be planned and that I could possibly join up with? I am still a slow fell runner usually in the back 10 of the shorter runs

Thanks

Re: Exterminator

It's a good route, not much choice in the first 2/3 until you get to Padley Gorge then it get's a bit interesting. I live locally and have recced this bit 3 times this year and plan to make this my comeback event after nearly 2 years of 'resting' or at least not racing. Not aware of any organised recces and I'm very limited now as I'm working in London for the next 3 months :-(

I did this as my first AL three years ago. It's a fairly straighforward navigational exercise in normal conditions, but a recce is well worthwhile to get a measure for the distance and the little snickets as you head back in. If you're flexible as to timing I could probably get out on this, maybe even split it into 2 evening recces. Are you local?

However - never underestimate Totleys knack of altering checkpoints for this race - its altered a couple of times in the past - nothing on the web site yet - but i'd keep an eye on it if I were you :wink:
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body

Quote Originally Posted by SamRitson View Post
    I am hoping to do Exterminator as my first AL. I am relatively new to fell running, don't know the area and could do with safe navigation practice.

Is anyone aware of any recces of the route that may be planned and that I could possibly join up with? I am still a slow fell runner usually in the back 10 of the shorter runs

Thanks
    What's "safe navigation practice"???

This race is pretty much on the sheffield city boundary and is probably never more than a mile or so from a road, so just choose a reasonable day, get your map out and start running. And don't forget to stop off at the Grindleford caff for tea and chip buttie.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

I competed in this last year and took a very poor line back from Padley Gorge, I have now worked out the best line from Yarncliffe and think I am pretty much there from Padley Gorge assuming the view is that it is best to use the lower bridge to cross the gorge.

I live very close to the start of the course, so would be very happy to run the majority of the course as an evening training run - send me a PM. Cheers,

Simon,

i'd be up for it in a few weeks. i've sent you a PM.

Glen