Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Druid Fell Race

The Druid

Could anybody give me an idea of the route for next weeks Druid race from Llanferres (nr Mold)? Not that I want to go and practice or anything...

Re: The Druid

Up the lane at the back of the Druid then sharp right when you run out of lane - steep 80 yards then turn left and follow path south westwards until you reach a point due south of Fron Heulog. Turn right by Clwyd Nurseries (a plantation not a garden centre!) then up Foel Fenlli as far as the ramparts, round the top clockwise and then drop down a bit on the west side to climb back up the steps then back home again. The organiser is away until next week so I'm going to go round at the weekend on his behalf to look for any new hazards.

Thanks very much Welsh Harrier, I may be forced to take an early morning stroll up that way.

Looking on the OS 1:25 map, there is a footpath going part of the way up Foel Fenlli following a wall part of the way then turning up the slope and another marked path going straight up. Is this straight path the way up/down?

You've got it - the path that heads directly for the cairn is the one - you turn left at the rampartsgo clockwise round til 10 o'clock then drop down halfway to the road in a north east direction then hit the marked path up to the cairn before dropping back onto the downward path.

Thanks again, I've got it now, just checked out Flashearth and picked up the paths you mentioned. I'll have a run up there over the next few days to see it in the flesh.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    The organiser is away until next week so I'm going to go round at the weekend on his behalf to look for any new hazards.
    I went round The Druid & Hotfoot up Fammau last night & the only thing that could be construed as anything approaching a hazard is the gate with barbed wire on top half-way round the route. Last year was a bit of a haze & I can't remember if this gate was marshalled.

I'm really looking forward to the series & this race is a cracking wee opener.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

I did this race last year and it was my first fell race. I had the mishap of coming out of the woods not to far after the start and slipped losing my footing and took a tumble down through the bracken. I did carry on and complete it although it was a struggle. Doing it again this year and looking forward to it. Hopefully in a much better time and state. This is a good race to do.

This is in my club's fell championship this year, so I'm hoping to make it along
    Everybody's heart doesn't beat the same.

Just come back from a trip up Foel Fenlli in my new PB's (can't turn up at a race with shiny new shoes could I?), they are now well and truely caked in mud and cow muck. The section through the trees is a bit muddy...and trying to get past a couple of dozen cows/young bulls who were hiding in there and didn't want to budge was a bit tricky. Got a bit misty up near the top but otherwise good. Got stung to buggery though, don't know by what, I can't remember running through a field of knee high nettles.

The wife and I had a gentle run around the course last night - very muddy indeed, esp through the 'woods of doom' (wifeism, but she has a point as they are very dark).

Will be going round at threequarter speed on Weds as the BG is just over a week away but i can't resist this smashing summer race series.

See you there