Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: High Heart Rate - 226 BPM ???

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    This time the AF brought on the decision to have a cake break - I hoped that resting may have proved that I was actually working hard, but I wasn't, until beginning the slog down the valley. I was on flecainide five or six years ago, but didn't get on with it for one reason or another, but you're right that thought of another incident is always there in the mind - it's a good job we're actually fit mechanically to take it!

Twas the same with me Chris, a fear that it was going to happen,every time I set off in to the hills I had a "what was that" when I had a single abnormal beat. always waiting for the next. even with the all clear I'm still thinking "what if?" etc, very unnerving. I find racing or navving really good for it as it take my mind else where.

Absolutely Ian, keep the mind active and you stop listening to every little blip - I must try racing again, once I've got some fitness back in the system so as not to embarrass myself too much!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Absolutely Ian, keep the mind active and you stop listening to every little blip - I must try racing again, once I've got some fitness back in the system so as not to embarrass myself too much!
    Interesting being in the far North of Scotland for the first time since the OP. I was always wary of being in some pretty remote areas before, even more so this time with the weather I had but actually was more relaxed about it, more worried in the car when I heard a strange noise....

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

Tony Vardy

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bloke View Post
    You beat me to it.. I know of a few fellrunners with pacemakers now!

I often used to worry that my resting pulse is rarely lower than 60; with it I get readings like 100/75 for blood pressure ~ it was always that way despite an active upbringing. Sometimes I wonder if my body has learned to down-regulate the pulse pressure at rest, because I find a strong pulse disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bloke View Post
    I think the key line is...

However, the benefits of exercising still outweigh any risks, experts say

Well with two bouts of AF both requiring CV in a six month period, after a four year gap, more or less confirms that one of my short circuits has repaired itself. Trip to Newcastle in December to assess for re-ablation, did my own 'stress test' yesterday with a 62 mile bike ride at an average 29kph just to keep the mechanical bits in order!
    A circular route mostly downhill

When you start running or walking fast, then your heart rate will increase, and it is natural . But, you should be careful about your body so that you don't be weak.

Untitled.jpg
    Here's a regular condition I've experienced for as long as I've been using a HRM (over 4 years). See image. It happens at any time of day when not being warmed up at all. The attached chart shows my HR when jogging with my wife the other day. Very easy pace, barely out of breath but I feel knackered and don't want to jog any faster. THEN and normally after ten minutes my HR instantly drops off and I feel so much better. This particular run took 15 minutes to drop off. For those that know Great Wood near Keswick, the drop-off to 120 in HR happened as we ran across the old car park before we started jogging up the steep top path towards the mast. Although it's steepish for 300m or so notice the running feels very easy with HR at a level to be expected. My BP is healthy and cholesterol is low. Anybody any ideas?

Have you checked your HR manually at the time just to check its not an artifact?
    If that really is your HR then the two main causes of such a high rate out of the blue are; paroxysmal AF and SVT, though I would expect you to, possibly, experience some breathlessness with these, and maybe some chest discomfort.
    If you are worried you might want to see your GP who might suggest a 24hr ECG and/or a treadmill test whilst hooked up to an ECG.