Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2012 Olympics - what...

The 2012 Olympics - what...

... will it do for you?

What with the massive cost of staging the Olympics, the credit crunch, the humungous government cut backs, the fact that they will hit local sport big time and, in my case, the fact that the Olympics are taking place 250 miles from home and are representing 26 or so sports, of which a number seem a bit exotic, old hat or not that sporting at all, I can't help but feel that it could all be detrimental to sport for the nation as a whole come the finish.

I guess my major worry is how it might impact on sports for kids. I thought one of the justifications of bidding for the olympics is the sporting legacy it can leave behind but surely whatever legacy there is likely to be will now at best only counter balance the local level sports funding cut backs on the way. And before anyone says anything, I really appreciate that money doesn't necessarily inspire sports take up, but reducing or canning proposed new facilities surely will. So will cutting back on schools modernisation/re-building in a roundabout way I'm sure.

The last I heard was that the cost of staging the olympics will be getting on for £10 billion by the way!

Re: The 2012 Olympics - what..

I'll be staying as far away as possible, a quite little trouty beck or hill somewhere will be fine. See you thursday stolly
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Is it really sport, anyway, or just another aberration of sport being hi-jacked by 'fat-cats' looking for an even bigger 'slice of the action'?

I think it will be fantastic for the country. Schools are already talking about how they can celebrate a superb event. Materials are already being used (I can't believe mine is the only one). People will be inspired to try things out, more people want to do something if success is seen. The country is likely to go into 'party mode' for the event. Look at the descriptions from Australia during 2000. At a local level things are in place to get people involved, many athletics clubs are already reporting a rise, that can't be a bad thing. There will be a general feel-good factor, there always is when the country does well in a sports event, it has been reported many times. I cant wait. People with negative opinons I think are wrong, let's get behind this decade of sport, olympics, rugby world cup, rugby league world cup, athletics world championships, world cup football are all a possibility.

Bring it on.....

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post
    I think it will be fantastic for the country. Schools are already talking about how they can celebrate a superb event. Materials are already being used (I can't believe mine is the only one). People will be inspired to try things out, more people want to do something if success is seen. The country is likely to go into 'party mode' for the event. Look at the descriptions from Australia during 2000. At a local level things are in place to get people involved, many athletics clubs are already reporting a rise, that can't be a bad thing. There will be a general feel-good factor, there always is when the country does well in a sports event, it has been reported many times. I cant wait. People with negative opinons I think are wrong, let's get behind this decade of sport, olympics, rugby world cup, rugby league world cup, athletics world championships, world cup football are all a possibility.

Bring it on.....
    I agree... it's happening so get behind it.

I was indirectly involved in the bid, I'm a volunteer and I'll be there to see as much of it as I can.

The 'Wimbledon effect', which fills municipal tennis courts with kids for a few weeks every year, suggests that the Olympics might do something similar for many of the participatory sports. If it gets people off the sofa and trying new things, that's got to be positive.

That said, some of the 'sports' are carp!

You have to change attitudes and habits in youngsters before improving sport take up and therefore providing a legacy. No amount of glittered sporting events in the UK will do it. The legacy rhetoric was just a facade. The legacy will be about as effective as the one South Africa will leave from the world cup. Sounds negative but it is simply the way things go in the commercial sporting world. Imagine what could be done with £10 billion spent on health education, school sports facilities and a national strategy to increase activity levels.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    You have to change attitudes and habits in youngsters before improving sport take up and therefore providing a legacy. No amount of glittered sporting events in the UK will do it. The legacy rhetoric was just a facade. The legacy will be about as effective as the one South Africa will leave from the world cup. Sounds negative but it is simply the way things go in the commercial sporting world. Imagine what could be done with £10 billion spent on health education, school sports facilities and a national strategy to increase activity levels.
    They exist, there are people going into schools, there are also loads of professional sports clubs working with schools, there are strategies to get pupils in schools off their rears and into exercise. To me that is a good thing....

Quote Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
    I've already bought my rod and a pack of boilies :O

Quote Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post

Off the top of my head...

Synchronised swimming
    Trampolining
    Shooting
    Rowing
    Handball
    Tennis (not a 'carp' sport but just wrong for the olympics)
    Football (see tennis)
    Archery
    BMX biking
    Water polo
    Wrestling
    The 'walking' races
    Fencing

And I'm sure there are a few others.