Thread: Road running shoes for fell?

Road running shoes for fell?

This has probably been asked hundreds of times before on here but here goes.
    Can I wear my standard Asics road running shoes to do a fell race?
    There is a fell race near to me tommorow at Charlesworth (3 miles 500ft climb) which I wouldn't mind having a crack at but don't fancy buying a new pair of shoes just for it.
    I'm new on here and have never done any sort of fell running before (I'm an occasional road runner) so any advice greatly received.

Re: Road running shoes for fel

You could technically run anything in whatever shoes it's just that it might be a lot harder work than it needs to be. All depends in the route and terrain, and I have no idea what its like. If its anything like Darwen tower you'd be ok, other than that you'll probably be on your arse a lot and coming back down could be quite an intense experience. Though for the sake of a first short race, and no previous experience of fell running I wouldn't bother buying any new shoes. Give it a go, If you like it and you probably will then buy a proper pair of shoes be it Walsh or Inov-8 depending on which fits your feet the best.
    Take a look at:

www.peteblandsports.co.uk - The best shop in the country
    or www.sportsshoes.com which can have some good bargins, even cheaper instore.

Hope this helps, and enjoy.

P.S On your way back down just remember the mantra - Brain off, brakes off!
    Last edited by The devil's own; 10-07-2010 at 01:00 AM.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    Can I wear my standard Asics road running shoes to do a fell race?
    so any advice greatly received.
    Just pray it doesn't rain, or has any wet/muddy patches, or you'll probably be 'toboganning' back down the hill

I did my first 'fell-race' (race 6 of the 2009 'Trunce' series in my New Balance road-shoes & had to almost crawl through the (wet/muddy) woods.
    I enjoyed it though, & bought some fell-shoes the very next day! (Mizuno Wave-Harriers*)
    Come the next race, I dropped my time from 37:04 to 32:56, due to the shoes offering increased confidence in the muddy bits (oh, & a better start)

Welcome to the mad-house, I'm sure you'll be happy here, & accepted.
    I am!

*I've since bought some Inov-8 Mud-Claw 330s, but consider them too extreme for the 'Trunce' - with its stretch of road (actually bought them for the Ilkley Harriers 'Ilkley Moor Fell-Race' that took place in February)
    Last edited by RichardAThackeray; 10-07-2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Thanks for the advice chaps and well done on your times Richard. I did the run and it wasn't too bad (there were others also in road shoes).There was no rain although there were a few muddy patches at the stiles. I am considering getting some fell shoes now although as soon as I had finished the race, I thought I would never attempt anything uphill that steep again! My legs are still telling me that now!

p.s. I took the brakes off a bit coming down eavesy, not too much though!