Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Fell Running.

New to Fell Running.

Hi everyone! I am wanting to get into fell running. I live in Lancaster so im near the Lake District. Can anyone recommend any easy fell runs in and aropund this area to ease me in gently,if there is such thing. Also any tips you may have for someone who is just starting out.

Re: New to Fell Running.

Hi Louise, there's plenty of good fell clubs around your area, Bowland and Dark Peak (maybe). If you haven't done a lot of running in the past be careful of repetitive strain injuries, especially ITBS, creeping up on you. I was fairly fit when i started but i'm well in the jaws of ITBS now, it's mainly down to bad biomechanics as far as i can gather so chances are you'll be fine. All the best.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Hiya thank you very much. I ll look into a club,are these clubs for all abilities? Im fairly fit , i go running 3 times a week. I also cyle to and from work and go mountain biking.

Hi Louise
    Plenty to choose from fairly locally, with Bowland, the Dales and South Lakes all within a short drive.
    In the immediate vicinity, Clougha is the closest fell, with the option of extending your run over Grit Fell and Ward's Stone.
    In the Dales, Ingleborough, Whernside and Pen-y-Ghent, done individually make a nice steady run out of an hour and a half to 2 hours.
    South Lakes, you are spoilt for choice. If you want something fairly short, I would go for Loughrigg from Ambleside and back along the shore of Rydal Water.
    Have fun!

I did a mini run up nicky nook other day,not really a big fell but was a taster. And i really enjoyed it. Was wheezing on the way up though,but a blast coming back down. I have walked up clougha and ingleborough,so thanks i ll try running them next time. Thank you i ll look into those other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseNichols81 View Post
    I did a mini run up nicky nook other day,not really a big fell but was a taster. And i really enjoyed it. Was wheezing on the way up though,but a blast coming back down. I have walked up clougha and ingleborough,so thanks i ll try running them next time. Thank you i ll look into those other ones.
    Go for it!
    And you are allowed to walk bits you know - just run whatever you can!

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseNichols81 View Post
    Hiya thank you very much. I ll look into a club,are these clubs for all abilities? Im fairly fit , i go running 3 times a week. I also cyle to and from work and go mountain biking.
    Clubs will cater for all abilities, if they don't that's unusual to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    I would go for Loughrigg from Ambleside and back along the shore of Rydal Water.
    What's your route there, out past Brow Head Farm->Black Mire->Trig->Bridleway south bank to Rydal? Is the trod through the crags easy going?

I need some easy routes for now the more interesting the better.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    What's your route there, out past Brow Head Farm->Black Mire->Trig->Bridleway south bank to Rydal? Is the trod through the crags easy going?

I need some easy routes for now the more interesting the better.
    Yep - across Rothay Park and up to the trig point on Loughrigg summit.
    Then NW down the main path to Loughrigg Terrace, down the terrace and along the side of Rydal Water, then either cross the footbridge to the A591 and take the footpath through Rydal Hall back to Ambleside or follow the minor road back alongside the River Rothay to Rothay Park.
    In fact, we normally run it in the reverse direction, to get the tracks / paths out of the way first and finish with the fell.

Dallam are a friendly bunch who do a fair bit off road and are close to you. The bloke in the Runners Centre in Lancaster can probably point you in their direction. Good luck and enjoy yourself.