Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distances...

Distances...

Anyone have a online link for the distances/ascent allowed at each age group for juniors?

Links on fell junior site seem to be down

Cheers

Iain

Master

Re: Distances...

No rules on ascent
    U/18-6m
    U/16-4m
    U/14-3m
    U/12-m (i think-may be 2.5)
    U/10 and U/8 not sure but think 1m and 1/2mile
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

RULE TEN
    Race organisers must stipulate age limits for their events but the following maximum distance limits for
    juniors must be observed.
    Ages are as at 1st January in the year of competition.
    For FRA Fell Races, the minimum age for competition is six years, and the following distance limits must
    be applied.
    Under 8 - ½ mile (0.8k)
    Under 10 - 1 mile (1.6k)
    Under 12 - 2 miles (3.2k)
    Under 14 - 3 miles (4.8k)
    Under 16 - 4 miles (6.4k)
    Under 18 - 6 miles (9.6k)
    For paired Mountain Marathon style orienteering events, over one or two days, where one of the two run-
    ners is under 18, the other runner must be over 20 and must also be the parent or guardian of the junior
    runner. The minimum age for the junior runner is 14, and the following straight line distance limits must
    apply for each day of the event.
    Under 16 - 12 miles (19.2k)
    Under 18 - 15 miles (24.0k)

See Committee page on FRA website - Rules for Comp.

Try getting that across to stroppy parents who want their kid to run with his/her older mates in the next age category up; as we had at registration for the Hodder Valley Show last year!! A 17 year old's "parents" were full-on that he should run with his older mates in the Senior race ( Medium distance ) and he didn't even have any kit with him, as stipulated for medium length events in the FRA rules.
    Junior races are essential for encouraging new blood into the ranks; and it's great to see the kid's enjoying their races. However, I help the organisers of 3 events that include junior races and it's always the pushy parents that prove to be a fly in the ointment!!
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 16-07-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Yes I always dread the pushy parent but so far I've been very lucky. I did have a request for friends to run together. I suggested they run in the younger category at which point the older ones decided they could cope alone!

Mary

Grandparents can be pushy too - about ten years ago I remember one promising young lady who was put off running altogether by her tetchy Grandad moaning at her!

Thanks this info is very usful. I want to start a fun running club for my daughters, neice & some friends but wasn't sure on how far they should run. They have taken part in a 1.5k fun run & loved it but wanted to make sure they don't over do it. Their ages 3 upwards. I thought I do some fun stretching, teach how to run a nice pace & then some cool down stretches just once a week for now. I'm not qualified in anything but wanted to make sure I'm doing it right. Anything anybody wants to add?

Quote Originally Posted by BionicBetty View Post
    Thanks this info is very usful. I want to start a fun running club for my daughters, neice & some friends but wasn't sure on how far they should run. They have taken part in a 1.5k fun run & loved it but wanted to make sure they don't over do it. Their ages 3 upwards. I thought I do some fun stretching, teach how to run a nice pace & then some cool down stretches just once a week for now. I'm not qualified in anything but wanted to make sure I'm doing it right. Anything anybody wants to add?
    This link might prove useful: Training although more geared to an older age group.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

We get problems at the Club with parents wanting to push their kids into a "higher" group similar to running higher ages. No real answer but everyone needs to be consistent, don't let some do it and not others. BOFRA have a very strict rule not allowing kids to run in a higher age group race.

Don't forget that distances are maximums and that if the race is challenging then a race at the maximum distance for the age might be at the very limit for a normal club runner, especially older girls.

Regarding aged 3 upwards - until they are 9 or 10 I would just try and get them running around and having fun. No actual coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    Regarding aged 3 upwards - until they are 9 or 10 I would just try and get them running around and having fun. No actual coaching.
    Couldn't agree more; fun first every time. However, it's probably useful to be aware of limitations, things to avoid/look out for etc. with very young runners.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over