Thread: Acid alkaline balance

Acid alkaline balance

Due to my current health problem (one for the girls) I've been busy researching and have discovered the importance of getting the right PH balance in body tissue.

Has anyone got any knowledge / experience of this? I'm seriously considering trying an alkaline diet but the whole thing seems a bit daunting.

Stef
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Master

Re: Acid alkaline balance

well if it all goes tits up you can balance it out by drinking a pint of vinegar
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

stef - this gives quite a balanced overview

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popu...kalinediet.htm

there's not much evidence - but if its not too extreme then its prob won't do any harm for you to try it.

I was interested by this post. Having done 3 minutes of googling, it seems the diet is based around eating more healthy things (ie, more fruit and veg). I would suggest the benefits are related to this, and not to it reducing the pH balance in your tissues. Incidentally, most fruit is acidic.

I also found that this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_A._Schwarcz includes a chapter in his book An Apple a Day: The Myths, Miconceptions and Truths About the Foods We Eat called Alkaline Nonsense.

I don't want to sound too skeptical based on 3 minutes' research. Am I right in thinking that this pH diet consists of eating more fruit and veg?

I'm not sure what the diet needs to be. I've spent a few hours researching and have found varying information. Some sites suggest that the acididity of foods is based on the ph of the ash left after destroying the food (this is from memory off limited research but ash was definitely what was tested). I thought fruit was acidic but it appears in the alkaline columns in some of the tables I've seen based on the ash test results. These tables reflect fairly consistently with a detox diet I've followed in the past; I'm not sure they're actually addressing the ph imbalance issue.

I'm confused, hence the thread.

Stef

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I was interested by this post. Having done 3 minutes of googling, it seems the diet is based around eating more healthy things (ie, more fruit and veg). I would suggest the benefits are related to this, and not to it reducing the pH balance in your tissues. Incidentally, most fruit is acidic.

I also found that this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_A._Schwarcz includes a chapter in his book An Apple a Day: The Myths, Miconceptions and Truths About the Foods We Eat called Alkaline Nonsense.

I don't want to sound too skeptical based on 3 minutes' research. Am I right in thinking that this pH diet consists of eating more fruit and veg?
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Sounds like a question for your GP or consultant.

I'm sure there are lots of quack herbal treatments available that will make you poorer rather than healthier.

Eating more cheese and milk (pH >7) and less fruit (pH<7) would be unlikely to have any impact on external tissue pH. A unbalanced diet, favouring high pH products, might be counter productive as fruit is healthy.

An alternative is to use an pH buffer cream. Even then, studies suggest that altering pH directly using a cream had little effect against bacterial growth compared to a control cream which did not adjust pH.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    I'm not sure what the diet needs to be. I've spent a few hours researching and have found varying information. Some sites suggest that the acididity of foods is based on the ph of the ash left after destroying the food (this is from memory off limited research but ash was definitely what was tested). I thought fruit was acidic but it appears in the alkaline columns in some of the tables I've seen based on the ash test results. These tables reflect fairly consistently with a detox diet I've followed in the past; I'm not sure they're actually addressing the ph imbalance issue.

I'm confused, hence the thread.

Stef
    Sounds like a way to sell pH drops to me.

http://www.energiseforlife.com/list_...line_foods.php

This is what the general guidance is:
    Eat healthy fruits and veg and drink plenty of fluids.
    Steer clear of fatty meats, dairy, cheese, sweets, chocolates, alcohol and tobacco.

What's your diet like at the moment? If it's not like this, you should probably try it for general health reasons (although low-fat dairy should be OK). If it is already like this, then I think this whole alkaline pseudo-science is a red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    Due to my current health problem (one for the girls) I've been busy researching and have discovered the importance of getting the right PH balance in body tissue.

Has anyone got any knowledge / experience of this? I'm seriously considering trying an alkaline diet but the whole thing seems a bit daunting.

Stef
    Not sure how exact the science is behind this but apparently, drinking water with lemon juice in it helps balance the body’s Ph

http://www.energiseforlife.com/wordp...ing-superstar/

Do a search for “lemon water benefits” on Google
    I've learnt so much from my mistakes, I'm actually thinking about making a few more.